channels between between different computers?

Al Danial

Feb 7, 2011, 2:05:45 PM2/7/11
to python-csp
Does channel communication in python-csp work only between
multiple processes on the same computer, or can channels be
set up to let different computers on the same network communicate?
If it is possible, how would one launch the Python programs on the
different hosts so that they see each other (or how would the
Channel() invocation be changed to use host names)? -- Al

Sarah Mount

Feb 8, 2011, 6:09:06 PM2/8/11
to pytho...@googlegroups.com

We haven't implemented this yet, but I certainly intend to. If you
have a specific use case and you're interested in using python-csp,
let me know and I'll hurry things along. The intention would be to
have an implementation of Channels that work over 0MQ or similar.

Regards,

Sarah

--
Sarah Mount, Senior Lecturer, University of Wolverhampton
website:  http://www.snim2.org/

Al Danial

Feb 10, 2011, 12:27:56 AM2/10/11
to python-csp
On Feb 8, 3:09 pm, Sarah Mount <mount.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We haven't implemented this yet, but I certainly intend to. If you
> have a specific use case and you're interested in using python-csp,
> let me know and I'll hurry things along. The intention would be to
> have an implementation of Channels that work over 0MQ or similar.

My interest is more general than specific; I'm looking for a possibly
simpler or cleaner way to do what I'm currently doing with MPI. The
combination of the Par statement and Channels that work across
computers would be exceptionally useful. -- Al

Sarah Mount

Feb 11, 2011, 6:03:09 AM2/11/11
to pytho...@googlegroups.com

Agreed, it's an ideal pattern. Were you thinking of any platform in
particular or just clusters generally?

Al Danial

Feb 11, 2011, 2:57:58 PM2/11/11
to python-csp
On Feb 11, 3:03 am, Sarah Mount <mount.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 05:27, Al Danial <al.dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 3:09 pm, Sarah Mount <mount.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> We haven't implemented this yet, but I certainly intend to.
>
> > The combination of the Par statement and Channels that work across
> > computers would be exceptionally useful.       -- Al
>
> Agreed, it's an ideal pattern. Were you thinking of any platform in
> particular or just clusters generally?

Primarily Linux clusters (and communicating over both Ethernet and
Infiniband network layers). -- Al