cffi defective LICENSE information

Lawrence Butcher

Sep 1, 2022, 6:06:52 PM9/1/22
to python-cffi

The file “LICENSE” in the cffi-1.15.1.tar.gz file

from https://pypi.org/project/cffi/#files contains this text:

“    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included

    in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.”

However, there is no “above copyright notice”.

The terms of the License cannot be met.

Therefore, NOONE can use this code based on the referenced MIT license.

There is no valid copyright notice elsewhere in the source code tree to help.

Please add the required copyright information to this defective LICENSE file.

Thanks

Matthias Geier

Sep 2, 2022, 11:16:23 AM9/2/22
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
I cannot give legal advice, but I just wanted to mention that the Rust
project also removed that "copyright notice".

The notice was removed in https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/43498
and there are some additional comments in
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/commit/2a8807e889a43c6b89eb6f2736907afa87ae592f

cheers,
Matthias

Armin Rigo

Sep 2, 2022, 3:18:18 PM9/2/22
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Fri, 2 Sept 2022 at 17:16, Matthias Geier <matthia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot give legal advice, but I just wanted to mention that the Rust
> project also removed that "copyright notice".
>
> The notice was removed in https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/43498
> and there are some additional comments in
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/commit/2a8807e889a43c6b89eb6f2736907afa87ae592f

Thank you Matthias. I'll take that as meaning that cffi doesn't need
any fix, and Lawrence's conclusion "no-one can use cffi because of
this inconsistency" is not correct.

Armin