Documentation for the Advertisement object

Mark Tyers

Aug 22, 2020, 8:07:09 AM8/22/20
to python-bleson
Is there any documentation that explains the data returned in the Advertisement object?

Barry Byford

Aug 22, 2020, 8:55:22 AM8/22/20
to python-bleson
Not sure I understand the question. Could you clarify.

Do you mean this:

More generally, all of the HCI information is documented in the Bluetooth® Core Specification:
https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/bluetooth-core-specification/

It is rather a large tome so take a look at. If you are looking at advertisement data received then:
7.7.65 LE Meta event on page 2379 is probably a good place to start.

For work I've done elsewhere I think that breaks down as:
# pkt[0] = Packet Type (0x04) Is packet type
# pkt[1] = HCI event type (We only interested in 0x3e?) LE Meta Event
# pkt[2] = Length of packet
# pkt[3] = LE Meta Event sub event (see LE_META_EVENT_LOOKUP)
# pkt[4] = Number of reports in packet
# pkt[5] = Advertisement Report Event Type (see ADV_RPT_TYPE_LOOKUP)
# pkt[6] = Address Type (see ADDRESS_TYPE_LOOKUP)
# pkt[7:13] = Mac address
# pkt[13:] = Advert packet information
# pkt[-1] = Receive Strength Signal Indicator (RSSI)

There is also a Beacon Advertising Cheat Sheet posted by Jos Ryke available at:

wayne....@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2020, 12:51:35 PM8/22/20
to python-bleson
HI,

A/that iBeacon parser is perhaps something worth adding to Bleson.

All the best
Wayne

wayne....@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2020, 12:55:11 PM8/22/20
to python-bleson
sorry, wrong conversation, please ignore.