RTL

Joshua Bronson

Apr 11, 2011, 12:13:02 PM4/11/11
to python...@googlegroups.com
How can I tell if the language of a babel.Locale object is right-to-left? http://babel.edgewall.org/wiki/BabelFaq#HowcanIuseBabelforRTLRighttoleftLanguageslikePersian looks like it's still TODO.

Thanks,
Josh

Felix Schwarz

Apr 12, 2011, 4:08:21 PM4/12/11
to python...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm by no means a Babel expert but I don't think this information is
currently accessible (checked the import_cldr.py script).

For a start, we need to know if this information is contained in the
cldr data: http://unicode.org/Public/cldr/1.9.1/
If so, please file a ticket. Bonus points if you name the actual
attribute where this is stored.

fs

Felix Schwarz

Apr 12, 2011, 4:15:06 PM4/12/11
to python...@googlegroups.com

I just checked the CLDR data, good news is that the actual information
is there:
common/main/<id>.xml
<layout>
<orientation characters="right-to-left"/>
</layout>

Bad news is that Babel does not expose this in any way so this needs to
be implemented. Can you search existing tickets (if such a request
already exists) and create a new ticket if there is no such ticket?

fs

Joshua Bronson

Apr 12, 2011, 4:22:46 PM4/12/11
to python...@googlegroups.com, Felix Schwarz