Babel 1.0 Released

Armin Ronacher

Jul 26, 2013, 12:20:11 PM7/26/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just a quick update to keep everybody informed here as well:

Babel 1.0 is out now.  With that release it's also switching to major release version numbers similar to Firefox (and CLDR which we're depending on).

New:

- Python 3 support
- Better timezone handling
- Timezone transition predictions
- System timezone detection
- Relative date formatting
- CLDR 23 support
- Improved pluralization support

And more, see the CHANGES file for more information.

The new website is now at http://babel.pocoo.org/ together with updated docs.
Issue tracker is at https://github.com/mitsuhiko/babel

From here on we should see faster releases.  There is a fully automated release process in places now and it's much easier to do local development of Babel as we now automatically download and convert the CLDR on a single command.

I declared issue bankruptcy for the time being. If you run into issues file a new bug in the new tracker.

Regards,
Armin

Nathan Wright

Jul 26, 2013, 12:47:12 PM7/26/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
This is great news, so glad to see this project moving forward again! And I've been looking forward to relative date formatting making it into the official release for a long time now.

Cheers,
Nathan

Pedro Algarvio

Jul 26, 2013, 1:02:24 PM7/26/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Armin! Thanks for your devotion to the project, awesome work!

I'd hate to see it parish...

--
Pedro Algarvio @ phone

León Domingo

Jul 26, 2013, 3:37:28 PM7/26/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Realy good news!
Congrats!

León Domingo

Ender - Factoría de Software
leon.d...@ender.es
Avda. Cerro del Águila, 7. S23 - 2ª Planta
28703 S.S. de los Reyes (MADRID)
Tlf. 902 01 44 01

Luc Saffre

Jul 27, 2013, 6:49:54 AM7/27/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Armin! Great work!

As a side note, the new version even fixes a bug in Estonian full date
format which I hadn't yet noticed. After upgrading Babel, one of my test
suites failed on the following document which as i then noticed
contained indeed a wrong example:
http://north.lino-framework.org/tutorials/catalog/index.html

Luc

Rodrigo Moraes

Aug 1, 2013, 4:55:50 PM8/1/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, Armin. Babel is a great project, and you were the
first to point it to me, back in 2009 or so at #pocoo when I barely
knew Python. Hah! :-)

-- rodrigo

Pedro Romano

Aug 2, 2013, 7:22:51 AM8/2/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the great work Armin! May Babel live long and prosper.