Using MS2

Vidit Minda

Nov 29, 2023, 12:54:03 PM11/29/23
to Pyteomics
Hello,

I am trying to work with MS/MS data. I need to access individual fragmentation spectra by scan number or time. Essentially I need a table of m/z and corresponding intensity for fragmentation spectra (getting parameters will be a plus).
I have a Shimadzu QTOF and can convert my data file to any format with Proteowizard. I believe that MS2 from Pyteomics will be able to help me but I am confused about its usage.

So if I go ahead and use pyteomics.ms2.read(*args**kwargs)
I think I will be able to achieve this. However, the source probably needs an MS2 file format that seems to be a text format. How can I obtain the text format from an mzml file (or some similar format such as mzXML)?

Is there any video or documentation? I appreciate your help!

Thank you
Sincerely,
Vidit Minda

Joshua Klein

Nov 30, 2023, 7:30:51 AM11/30/23
to pyte...@googlegroups.com

The pyteomics.ms2.MS2 type in Pyteomics is for reading the plain text ms2 file format. If you have an mzML file, you should use pyteomics.mzml.MzML instead. If you want to retrieve a scan by its scan number, use reader[scan_number - 1], and for retention time reader.time[rt]. For more information about random access behavior, see https://pyteomics.readthedocs.io/en/latest/data.html#indexed-parsers and https://pyteomics.readthedocs.io/en/latest/data.html#rich-indexing.

Thank you,
Joshua Klein