Long time no see!

Olof Bjarnason

Mar 1, 2012, 5:56:18 AM3/1/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

I haven't been active in pytddmon development since last autumn. Apart from a quite busy schedule both work-wise and at home, I've been a bit depressed about a regression I found back then. The problem I found was that renaming a code file didn't trigger a test-rerun, which it should (tests depend on the name of the code files).

I thought this was something that had broke during summer 2011 (lot's of patches/merges), but I've manually tested this back to the Launchpad days in december 2010. It was there already, and has been during whole of 2011.

That makes me both sad and happy. Sad because I think it's a quite serious flaw (very fundamental part of pytddmon), but also glad that I cannot blame anyone but myself (hint Samuel - it's not your fault! haha).

Anyway, this means our unit tests could be improved - they should *really* catch this. But in what unit test file? Here's a list of all available unit test files in pytddmon right now (objarni repository on bitbucket):

test_color_picker.py
core\test_pytddmon.py
file_strategies\test_recursive_glob_file_strategy.py
file_strategies\test_recursive_regexp_file_strategy.py
file_strategies\test_static_file_strategy.py
hashing\test_defaut_hasher.py
logging\test_default_logger.py
test_strategies\test_recursive_regexp_test_strategy.py
test_strategies\test_static_test_strategy.py

Better late than never - happy new year all! ;)

Rafael Capucho

Mar 2, 2012, 2:15:38 AM3/2/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year folks =}

I'm glad to announce that I'll give a Python/Django Course[1] in these
days and I will talk a little bit about pytddmon as a tool/project
inside the UnitTest topic.

big hug everybody!

[1] - schoolofnet.com/django

Rafael Capucho
Acrescentar Consultoria & Planejamento
www.acrescentar.com

PGP-Public Key: 2048R/7389A96F pgp.mit.edu
FP: EDB5 CDEE 8442 99CC C92D 9173 6B32 A5C9 7389 A96F

Olof Bjarnason

Mar 2, 2012, 12:57:15 PM3/2/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
That sounds great Rafael! :)

Samuel Ytterbrink

Mar 2, 2012, 1:09:02 PM3/2/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Welcome back!

And happy new years!

--
//Samuel Ytterbrink

Rock Neurotiko

Mar 3, 2012, 3:39:45 AM3/3/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
First of all, happy new year :)

I'm sorry if my english isn't very good, I'm spanish, and you know how are we with languages...

I'm new in that list, so... hi to everyone!!

I'm 19, and I've been programming in Python 3 or 4 years, I have still much to learn, but I love learn, so there is no problem :)

I had never heard about TDD programming, and I discovered it thanks to the "katas". When I read about TDD, the first time I thinked was: "OMG, it's something like that in python???", and yeah, the only one I liked were pytddmon.

I'm here to help in everything I can, and to learn about you all, I'm a padawan :)

Had I said that: Happy new year!!

Cheers!

2012/3/2 Samuel Ytterbrink <nep...@gmail.com>

--
Miguel García Lafuente - Rock Neurotiko
Vocal de la Junta Directiva Nacional del Partido Pirata.

"Libertad en lugar de miedo." - "Información libre, sociedad libre."

Samuel Ytterbrink

Mar 3, 2012, 5:20:47 AM3/3/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Welcome on board!

--
//Samuel Ytterbrink

Olof Bjarnason

Mar 3, 2012, 10:46:12 AM3/3/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/3 Samuel Ytterbrink <nep...@gmail.com>:

> Welcome on board!
>
> Den 3 mars 2012 09:39 skrev Rock Neurotiko <miguelg...@gmail.com>:
>> First of all, happy new year :)
>>
>> I'm sorry if my english isn't very good, I'm spanish, and you know how are
>> we with languages...
>>
>> I'm new in that list, so... hi to everyone!!
>>
>> I'm 19, and I've been programming in Python 3 or 4 years, I have still much
>> to learn, but I love learn, so there is no problem :)
>>
>> I had never heard about TDD programming, and I discovered it thanks to the
>> "katas". When I read about TDD, the first time I thinked was: "OMG, it's
>> something like that in python???", and yeah, the only one I liked were
>> pytddmon.
>>
>> I'm here to help in everything I can, and to learn about you all, I'm a
>> padawan :)
>>
>> Had I said that: Happy new year!!
>>
>> Cheers!

Welcome to the pytddmon group! Really happy to hear your story about
how you found pytddmon, and that you like it :)

Carlos Ble

Mar 5, 2012, 4:12:59 AM3/5/12
to pytddmon
I remember that pyTDDMon wasn't designed with TDD. It used to lack
test coverage and its code could be improved.
What about starting the project from scracth again with TDD? I can't
make it now but it would be a good exercise :-)

Cheers guys

Olof Bjarnason

Mar 5, 2012, 3:42:39 PM3/5/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/5 Carlos Ble <ble.j...@gmail.com>:

> I remember that pyTDDMon wasn't designed with TDD. It used to lack
> test coverage and its code could be improved.
> What about starting the project from scracth again with TDD? I can't
> make it now but it would be a good exercise :-)

Haha, thats a cool idea! In fact in think I might do it for this
checksum regression. Not from scratch that is, but integrating with
the components already existing in pytddmon (single-file-hasher,
recursive file finding etc.).

Regards,