NumFOCUS invites proposals from its sponsored and affiliated projects for targeted small development grants three times per year. This is the third and final call for proposals for 2018.
There are no restrictions on what the funding can be used for: code development; documentation work; educational, sustainability, and diversity initiatives; or other types of projects are all eligible.
Only one application may be submitted per project per grant funding cycle.*
(*but see below re: ESIP)
For examples of proposals that have been funded in prior grant rounds, see the NumFOCUS blog:
- Up to $3,000 per proposal
- Allocated funding is $20,000 for this cycle; depending on the number and quality of proposals this may be adjusted up or down.
- Proposals must be approved by the leadership of a NumFOCUS sponsored or affiliated project.
- Proposed work must have a clear outcome, achievable within 2018 or early 2019.
- The call is open to applicants from any nationality and can be performed at any university, institute or business worldwide (US export laws permitting).
- 18 Sept 2018: call for proposals released
- 28 Oct 2018: deadline for proposal submissions
- 14 Nov: proposal acceptance notifications
*This funding cycle we are excited to be collaborating with our Community Alliance member, Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) to offer two additional $3k grants.To be eligible to receive an additional grant via the ESIP partnership
, you must submit a proposal for a funding need or feature improvement relevant to Earth science community or based on one of the following suggestions from the ESIP research community: https://github.com/ESIPFed/NUMfocusFallDev/issues
The submission process for ESIP proposals is the same as our regular process.How to Apply:
Please let us know if you have any questions.