change padding type of H5_String

Nadine Barth

Apr 21, 2021, 7:01:07 AM4/21/21
to pytables-users
Hello pytable users,

according to https://www.pytables.org/usersguide/file_format.html the Datatype H5_STRING for the "Array format"  is supported. Unfortunately I can't find an example for that with pytables. So can please anyone tell me how to use the COMPOUND or H5_STRING Datatype?

The background is, that I want to change the padding type from H5T_STR_NULLTERM to H5T_STR_SPACEPAD. I have found some Discussions about that which I not fully understand (https://github.com/PyTables/PyTables/issues/264). I understand it the way that there is no possibility in pytables to store the data as H5T_STR_SPACEPAD and I have to switch to h5py to bypass the problem. But the discussion is from 2013 and maybe the situation has changed until now. Then I found the supported datatypes and was confused - so is it possible to change the type in pytables?

Many thanks already for your help!
Regards, Nadine