Fwd: [Request for Input] Content for a Project "One-Pager"

Francesc Alted

Jan 18, 2021, 11:18:01 AM1/18/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Hi PyTables developers,

As a representative of PyTables, I have received this request from the NumFOCUS foundation.  I will be busy filling the form for Blosc (which is another NumFOCUS project).  Anyone would step up and fill this on behalf the PyTables developers?  It is true that PyTables did not request that many grants from NumFOCUS (specially in the last year), but perhaps this could attract some possible donors.

Thanks in advance,
Francesc

Jan 19, 2021, 2:04:02 AM1/19/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Francesc,

Il 18/01/21 17:17, Francesc Alted ha scritto:
> Hi PyTables developers,
>
> As a representative of PyTables, I have received this request from the
> NumFOCUS foundation. I will be busy filling the form for Blosc (which is
> another NumFOCUS project). Anyone would step up and fill this on behalf
> the PyTables developers? It is true that PyTables did not request that
> many grants from NumFOCUS (specially in the last year), but perhaps this
> could attract some possible donors.

Sorry I'm very busy in this period also.
The new year's start wes not so smooth for me :/.
Hope someone else would like to step up to help.

kind regards
antonio

--
Antonio Valentino

Miroslav Šedivý

Jan 19, 2021, 2:35:39 AM1/19/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Dear PyTablers,

since I'm on the team I have focused mainly on the modernization of the
code, cleaning up old hacks and most recently on investigating into
migration to pytest. That's a lot of work that will improve
readability and organization of the code, and make the project more
attractive to new contributors. And that's also necessary for me,
because reading the code, when I encounter something not immediately
clear to me, I try to understand it, sometimes ask you (thank you,
Antonio, for all the patience!), and eventually rewrite it in a simpler
way, which hopefully helps the project. And mainly to me, because I
understand more.

On the other hand, I did not deal with those “high-level needs” until
now. So probably my description would be a very narrow one and not what
Arliss expects.

Miro

Francesc Alted

Jan 19, 2021, 4:07:08 AM1/19/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Miro,

I don't think filling the form would be that difficult (I did that in 1 hour or so for Blosc), and it is always a good exercise for communicating with the user base (NumFOCUS will be in charge of spreading the word for us).  I would personally see this more as an opportunity than just 'more work' ;-)

BTW, thanks Miro (and Antonio!) for your recent work in modernising PyTables.  Really promising!

Francesc

Francesc Alted

Miroslav Šedivý

Jan 19, 2021, 9:49:12 AM1/19/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francesc,

just checked the form. From my experience and current point of view I could spontaneously write:

Application:
- storage for huge datasets (observations and forecasts) for ML training
- …
- …

New feature/upgrade
- modernization of the codebase to Python 3.6+
- migration of tests to pytest
- split of dependencies out of the repostory

Project need:
- possibility to *quickly* test everything (parallel CI runners)
- better interface to Pandas
- …

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Miro

Francesc Alted

Jan 20, 2021, 12:50:15 PM1/20/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miro,

Maybe:

Application:
- storage for huge datasets (observations and forecasts) for ML training
- tabular storage with advanced indexed capabilities for fast queries
- fast compression codec (Blosc) for better disk I/O performance and less memory consumption

Regarding project needs, what about adding a point about improving communication with users?  Like, preparing talks for conferences, improving the website, setting up chat forums...

Other than that, this looks good to me :-)

Francesc

Miroslav Šedivý

Jan 20, 2021, 2:10:24 PM1/20/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Francesc, I just combined my and your answers and submitted
the form. I hope Arliss comes back to you (there was no contact
information in the form) with further questions.

Miro, lucky to live a few hours ahead of most U.S. deadlines :-)

Francesc Alted

Jan 21, 2021, 2:51:04 AM1/21/21
to pytabl...@googlegroups.com
Great!  Thank you Miro!