Starting values for QuantReg

Jo Lu

Mar 17, 2024, 9:48:16 AMMar 17
to pystatsmodels
Hello,
Recently I wondered why the provision of starting values to the Quantreg().fit() function is impossible. After looking into the code I found the reason and a very simple solution. Now it works perfectly. However, I am new on the developer group and wonder whether I sould make the canges or simply hand my replacement code to an experienced statsmodels developer who pastes it into the github copies. This would save a lot of time since my replacement code contains less than ten lines of code.
Any advice?
Thank you and best regards.

Jo Lu

Mar 21, 2024, 4:48:20 AMMar 21
to pystatsmodels
Dear all,
I am a little surprised that nobody responds to my proposal for a simple fix of a missing feature of the QuantReg class. There seems to be small interest in getting help from the community???
By the way: accepting starting values to the QuantReg.fit() method is important since one usually estimates a large number of quantile regressions for a narrow grid of quantiles 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, ..., 0.99 in order to get an estimate for the entire conditional distribution of the dependent. And the parameter estimates for quantile q are usually good starting values for quantile q+delta (if delta is small). In my tests the provision of starting values reduced the computing time by about 50-70 percent.
Best regards,
  Johannes

josef...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2024, 11:24:08 AMMar 22
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for the delay, Sometimes messages go into the gmail spam folder.

It's a bit tricky to add start_params. GLM and RLM have similar irls loops and both of those allow for start_params.

You could open a pull request, or add your code changes to the issue.

Thanks,

Josef

Jo Lu

Mar 24, 2024, 6:36:49 PMMar 24
to pystatsmodels
Thanks. Okay. As already mentioned, I  know why adding start params is a little bit tricky. I will make a further minor changes. Currently the auxiliary OLS regressions are performed using the Moore-Penrose Inverse instead of directly solving the normal equations which would be faster and numerically more stable.
There will, however, be some delay since I will be on holiday in the next week.
Best regards,
  Johannes

Jo Lu

Apr 10, 2024, 7:22:09 AMApr 10
to pystatsmodels
Hi,
right now I pushed my small amendments to QuantReg.fit(). I tested the code on my local copy but I don't know how to add and push a testing script. Please let me know whether this is OK.
Best regards,
   Johannes