How to impose lower and upper bound on a model parameter in unobserved components?

Roland K

Feb 21, 2024, 1:20:54 PMFeb 21
to pystatsmodels
When adding a cycle with unknown frequency to the observation equations, I can specify a search interval for the unknown period. Such an interval is a constraint when estimating the model parameters using ML. How can I do the same for other model parameters, e.g., sigma2.irregular?

Chad Fulton

Feb 23, 2024, 1:26:32 PMFeb 23
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
As described in the Github issue (https://github.com/statsmodels/statsmodels/issues/9160), you can do this by subclassing the `UnobservedComponents` class and then using a parameter transformation to ensure the parameter stays within a set of bounds.