Convert PRs to Draft

jseabold

Apr 2, 2021, 3:24:52 PM4/2/21
to pystatsmodels
Thoughts on converting the PRs that are mostly for posterity / one day's sake to draft status? Then you can exclude them in the list with -is:draft in search. It satisfies the desire to keep these around "in case," have them be visible as unclosed, and also excludable when trying to figure out which PRs may need attention.

For example, I converted this one to draft to check the implications.

If this seems fine, I can either use judgment, ping on the PR, or stick a list here. Any strong preferences?

josef...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 4:40:42 PM4/2/21
to pystatsmodels
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM jseabold <jsse...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thoughts on converting the PRs that are mostly for posterity / one day's sake to draft status? Then you can exclude them in the list with -is:draft in search. It satisfies the desire to keep these around "in case," have them be visible as unclosed, and also excludable when trying to figure out which PRs may need attention.

For example, I converted this one to draft to check the implications.

No, I don't think it really makes sense to change the status of stalled PRs.
We have 156 open PRs, 56 are mine
My guess would be that we would have to convert a large majority (100+) of the existing PRs, and that just creates noise.

For example, in the last half year I worked another round on several PRs that I had opened in 2015. Several are now stalled again until I get out of the statsmodels.distribution topic.
Beta-regression has been stalled for a long time, but I just looked at it several times again as example for new classes of multiple link models, which will be coming "really soon".

What I have done in the opposite direction is to add label `prio-elev`, elevated priority, to issues or PRs that we should look at soonish.

I changed my work style and look at issues and PRs almost only by topic, except for higher priority and urgent ones.

Josef

If this seems fine, I can either use judgment, ping on the PR, or stick a list here. Any strong preferences?

originalb...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2021, 8:23:24 PM10/2/21
to pystatsmodels
Hi.  I found this discussion when I came to the group looking for any posts about how to get PR's on people's radar for review and what an expected TAT on that should be.  In particular I have two very small PR's for bugs that haven't been reviewed yet.  They were both posted in February and it's now October.  Thoughts?

Thanks!
Amelia

josef...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2021, 9:53:47 PM10/2/21
to pystatsmodels
On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 8:23 PM originalb...@gmail.com <originalb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.  I found this discussion when I came to the group looking for any posts about how to get PR's on people's radar for review and what an expected TAT on that should be.  In particular I have two very small PR's for bugs that haven't been reviewed yet.  They were both posted in February and it's now October.  Thoughts?

You can ping on the issues, especially if they didn't get labels.
Without labels and milestones it's very likely issues and PRs get overlooked.

I went through many issues and PRs in preparation for the release, but didn't see those.

I might not look at PRs or issues if they look too distracting from what I'm doing.
But with labels, I usually get back to them when I have time or are in the neighborhood.

Sorry about that.

Josef

Thanks!
Amelia

On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 1:40:42 PM UTC-7 josefpktd wrote:
[...]

originalb...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2021, 10:28:18 PM10/4/21
to pystatsmodels
Aha!  Good to know.  Can you point me to a PR that has good labels?  I'm also going to poke around and add them and ping.  Thanks!

- Amelia

originalb...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2021, 10:54:04 PM10/4/21
to pystatsmodels
Hi!  I see that you added them for me!  Thanks.  That gives me good examples for the future.

- Amelia