Initiating Pystar in India

Trupti Kini

Jan 4, 2015, 7:24:12 AM1/4/15
to pys...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

    I am Trupti Kini from Mumbai, India. I work in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay in a project FOSSEE for Python Textbook Companion. I want to spread awareness about this to all ladies and even would like to share about BioPython and basics of Python Django. Please let me know from where can I begin with this.

Waiting for your reply,

Amanda Nyren

Jan 5, 2015, 10:00:43 AM1/5/15
to pys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trupti,

A PyStar in India would be very exciting! I would recommend seeing if there are other experienced programmers on your project or in your network to help out with mentoring new programmers. It's also important to think about the intended audience for your workshop. Do you want to bring in women who have never programmed before or women who know programming but not Python? The curriculum would be very different between the two groups and you would probably want to have more mentors for the former group. The material we have on pystar.org is catered more towards folks who have little to no previous programming experience. Please feel free to contribute to the material via github: https://github.com/pystar/pystar. If you think it would be helpful to translate any of the site, that would be fabulous too!

Then I would recommend finding a space to host the event(s) and deciding on dates. Then you can spread the word. We usually set up an online invite via eventbrite or meetup.com. Twitter is helpful in spreading the word - definitely feel free to setup your own @PyStar_City account. We've found it most helpful to send out instructions to students on how to set up their laptops before coming to the event. I think the instructions on pystar.org are pretty complete at this point, having gone through a lot of trial and error in getting laptops configured!

Hope that helps! PyStar is all open source, so don't hesitate to use the material and name in your work. Let us know if you have any other questions and definitely let us know how it goes!

-Amanda