Stability problem

Bastien Bodin

Jul 19, 2022, 9:35:47 AM7/19/22
to pysph-users
Hi everyone,

I am running an SPH application with:
- Symplectic Verlet time integration [1]  including the density update proposed by [2],
- Laminar viscosity, thermal transfert and adaptive timestep as defined in [3].

The simulation consists in a fluid at rest in a tank. When I run this simulation, the average velocity keeps increasing. Therefore, I was forced to divide the predicted timestep by 10 [3] to avoid the simulation to explode.
This problem could be caused by:
  • Dynamic Boundary Conditions, should I use Boundary Forces instead ?
  • Time integration, should I use a Predictor-Corrector scheme instead ?
  • MPI, could the parallelisation affect the stability of the program ?
Thank you for your time.
Best regards,

Bastien Bodin

--------