[PySide] Proposal of PySide/Python support for Qt Creator

Mort

Mar 29, 2012, 1:36:48 PM3/29/12
to soc2012...@python.org, pys...@qt-project.org, Hugo Parente Lima, Marcelo Lira, Luciano Wolf
Hello everyone!

I'm posting here because I would like to add support for Python/PySide on Qt Creator, and hopefully, as a Google Summer of Code project.

I don't know if there are many people interested in this idea, but for those people who ever worked in both C++ and Python with Qt / PySide, an all-in-one IDE should be no harmful, at least. And if you find great fun in making GUIs using QtCreator's designer, as well as programming in Python/PySide, you know what I'm talking about:-)
I realized that the PySide community once had made some effort to write a plugin to add Python support into Qt Creator (from what I found on the GitHub PySide/QtCreator repository), however, for some reason it discontinued (that's as far as I know). From what I see in discussion forums, people keep wanting Python support in Qt Creator, and Tobias said though it is not a priority right now, he would like to see someone contributing in this area. I'm eager to see (and also eagerly need myself) an IDE with PySide support therefore I'm thinking of taking it as a GSoC project.

Abstract
----------
The main goal of this project is to add fully functional Python/PySide support in a "feature branch" of Qt Creator, as well as some extra components such as optional Python/PySide-related plugins, PySide (and Shiboken) tutorials, demos and examples inside Qt Creator's helper system. Code contributes back to both Qt Creator and PySide repo via Gerrit.

Blog post of my full proposal (with detailed schedule): http://www.soimort.org/gsoc/
Take a look if you'r interested in, and feel free to comment on, suggestions, criticisms, anything :) I will be updating that page.

Many thanks for reading this, and any feedback is needed please!

p.s. one question: from what I read in http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2012 , prospective students are required to "contribute at least one patch to the project(s) they're applying to work with". Although the idea of PySide/Python support for QtCreator exists on the PySide idea page, there does not exist anything related in the official PySide repo (I believe I will be working on a QtCreator fork instead of a PySide repo). So how do I get started? Does a patch for QtCreator count?

Best Regards,

Mort Yao
Address: Olastorpsvägen 23:119, 29139 Kristianstad, Sweden

Aaron Richiger

Mar 29, 2012, 1:39:20 PM3/29/12
to pys...@qt-project.org
+1!!!!

Daniele Esposti

Mar 29, 2012, 2:27:20 PM3/29/12
to Hugo Parente Lima, pys...@qt-project.org, Marcelo Lira, soc2012...@python.org

paulo alcantara

Mar 29, 2012, 2:32:36 PM3/29/12
to Mort, Hugo Parente Lima, pys...@qt-project.org, Marcelo Lira, soc2012...@python.org
Hi Mort,

> I'm posting here because I would like to add support for Python/PySide on
> Qt
> Creator, and hopefully, as a Google Summer of Code project.

This is really great!

> I realized that the PySide community once had made some effort to write a
> plugin to add Python support into Qt Creator (from what I found on the
> GitHub PySide/QtCreator repository), however, for some reason it
> discontinued (that's as far as I know).

The project was *started* by INdT (Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia) - I
and my team
(PySide) were the only contributors in it.
An yes, it's currently discontinued and that'd be nice to see someone
to continue
on hacking it. IIRC, I managed to run Python programs on QtCreator, as well as
syntax highlighting support working fine.

If you become a student of GSoC 2012 for the PySide, for example, ideally you
must keep INdT and/or any other author copyright'ed with your work
(just a note).

BTW, good luck with your proposal! :-)

-pcacjr