[PySide] PySide on GSoc 2012

Hugo Parente Lima

Mar 20, 2012, 9:15:02 AM3/20/12
to pys...@qt-project.org
Hi,

Last year PySide participated on gsoc under PSF umbrella, we had few
candidates but didn't accept any students. This year we probably will be there
again under PSF umbrella[1] and hopping for good students to show on, so this
is the time to improve our ideas page:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_GSoc_Ideas

Anyone is invited to add your wishes there.

[1] I already contacted the 2012 PSF GSoC coordinator and sent the required
info but still waiting for a confirmation.

--
Hugo Parente Lima
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia

signature.asc

Matti Airas

Mar 20, 2012, 9:28:42 AM3/20/12
to pys...@qt-project.org
Neat! Thanks for this!

Just a comment on the Android part: it's already been more or less done by Thomas Perl, see:

http://thp.io/2011/pyside-android/

Maybe more thorough documentation and pre-built packaging etc "productization" could still be provided, but it's a _very_ low-hanging fruit.

Cheers,

ma.

On 20.03.2012 15:15, ext Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
Hi,

Last year PySide participated on gsoc under PSF umbrella, we had few
candidates but didn't accept any students. This year we probably will be there
again under PSF umbrella[1] and hopping for good students to show on, so this
is the time to improve our ideas page:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_GSoc_Ideas

Anyone is invited to add your wishes there.

[1] I already contacted the 2012 PSF GSoC coordinator and sent the required
info but still waiting for a confirmation.

Matti Airas

Mar 20, 2012, 9:39:34 AM3/20/12
to pys...@qt-project.org
One pretty big and important thing would be Qt 5 support. The alpha release should arrive today and the final by the end of June, and it'd be very nice if PySide could support it already then.

I wonder has anyone on the list taken a look at it yet? What needs to be done?

Nevertheless, I added the idea on the page.

Cheers,

ma.

On 20.03.2012 15:15, ext Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
Hi,

Last year PySide participated on gsoc under PSF umbrella, we had few
candidates but didn't accept any students. This year we probably will be there
again under PSF umbrella[1] and hopping for good students to show on, so this
is the time to improve our ideas page:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_GSoc_Ideas

Anyone is invited to add your wishes there.

[1] I already contacted the 2012 PSF GSoC coordinator and sent the required
info but still waiting for a confirmation.

Hugo Parente Lima

Mar 20, 2012, 9:59:23 AM3/20/12
to pys...@qt-project.org
On Tuesday 20 March 2012 10:39:34 Matti Airas wrote:
> One pretty big and important thing would be Qt 5 support. The alpha
> release should arrive today and the final by the end of June, and it'd
> be very nice if PySide could support it already then.
>
> I wonder has anyone on the list taken a look at it yet? What needs to be
> done?

Besides another type system, I guess we will need to review our hacks to make
dynamic MetaObject work, Qt5 may ease the things for us, or not, I didn't
spend much time looking at the new QMetaObject yet.

> Nevertheless, I added the idea on the page.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ma.
>
> On 20.03.2012 15:15, ext Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Last year PySide participated on gsoc under PSF umbrella, we had few
> > candidates but didn't accept any students. This year we probably will be
> > there again under PSF umbrella[1] and hopping for good students to show
> > on, so this is the time to improve our ideas page:
> >
> > http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_GSoc_Ideas
> >
> > Anyone is invited to add your wishes there.
> >
> > [1] I already contacted the 2012 PSF GSoC coordinator and sent the
> > required info but still waiting for a confirmation.

signature.asc

anatoly techtonik

Mar 20, 2012, 12:20:32 PM3/20/12
to Matti Airas, pys...@qt-project.org
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Matti Airas <matti....@nokia.com> wrote:
> Neat! Thanks for this!
>
> Just a comment on the Android part: it's already been more or less done by
> Thomas Perl, see:
>
> http://thp.io/2011/pyside-android/
>
> Maybe more thorough documentation and pre-built packaging etc
> "productization" could still be provided, but it's a _very_ low-hanging
> fruit.

Added two interesting things to do if I applied as a student. The
stuff that seems like I'll never finish it myself.

1. Shiboken tutorial / interactive demo

Write extensive tutorial on how to provide a Pythonic binding for your
favorite C/C++ library with Shiboken. Take any C/C++ game with
non-restrictive license and try to provide a Python console scripting
API using Shiboken for it.

2. Make Shiboken compile to NaCl

Streamline the process of using Python with Shiboken generated
bindings from browser.

--
anatoly t.