Re: [PySide] [Soc2012-general] Working with PySide for GSOC

Hugo Parente Lima

Mar 26, 2012, 2:58:55 PM3/26/12
to soc2012...@python.org, pys...@qt-project.org, Julian Cromarty
On Saturday 24 March 2012 16:55:38 Julian Cromarty wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I would very much like to work with the Python Software Foundation for the
> Google Summer of Code especially the PySide group (which is why I'm posting
> to the pyside mailing list as well). I'm a huge fan of both Python and Qt,
> though I admit I'm not perfect with the more advanced features of Python,
> and as such am very keen to work on combining two of my favourite tools.
>
> Looking through the ideas page for PySide, I would be more than willing to
> work on getting the Qt5 bindings done or just fixing loads of bugs (or in
> fact any of the things listed), but the one that particularly interested me
> is the idea of porting PySide to Android. I know Qt has already been ported
> to Android thanks to the Necessitas project (which also has Qt integration
> and so the QtCreator/PySide support might be useful to get done first) and
> I'm currently looking into what may be required to compile PySide for
> Android. The page linked to from the Ideas page is empty.

The Android port was done, but I don't know the current state, Qt5 port is a
good choice, you can start doing bindings for qtbase module, it's small and
will be useful to you to get a idea of the amount of work needed to accomplish
the task, you can go to #pyside and ask for help if needed.

--
Hugo Parente Lima
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia

signature.asc

Thomas Perl

Mar 26, 2012, 3:11:12 PM3/26/12
to Hugo Parente Lima, pys...@qt-project.org, Julian Cromarty, soc2012...@python.org
Hi,

2012/3/26 Hugo Parente Lima <hugo...@openbossa.org>:

> On Saturday 24 March 2012 16:55:38 Julian Cromarty wrote:
>> fact any of the things listed), but the one that particularly interested me
>> is the idea of porting PySide to Android. I know Qt has already been ported
>> to Android thanks to the Necessitas project (which also has Qt integration
>> and so the QtCreator/PySide support might be useful to get done first) and
>> I'm currently looking into what may be required to compile PySide for
>> Android. The page linked to from the Ideas page is empty.
>
> The Android port was done, but I don't know the current state, Qt5 port is a
> good choice, you can start doing bindings for qtbase module, it's small and
> will be useful to you to get a idea of the amount of work needed to accomplish
> the task, you can go to #pyside and ask for help if needed.

The current state of the Android port:

http://thp.io/2011/pyside-android/

It's still not perfect (read: polished). It needs to be upgraded to a
newer version of the Qt SDK (Necessitas) and it should probably also
re-use an existing SL4A/Py4A installation instead of having a custom
installation in /data/python/. Alternatively, one could think about
bundling the required Python modules + libpython with the .apk or make
it a module for Necessitas/Ministro.

This probably needs some coordination with the Necessitas (Qt for
Android) project, and it should probably also upgrade to the
qt-project.org-based PySide (with the new Shiboken that has
apiextractor and generatorrunner included).

If you have any questions about the Android port, feel free to ask.

HTH :)
Thomas