[PySide] Open Gerrit to public (Was: Call for help: regression bugs to be fixed)

anatoly techtonik

Mar 2, 2012, 4:57:18 AM3/2/12
to Matti Airas, pys...@qt-project.org
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Matti Airas <matti....@nokia.com> wrote:
> On 02.03.2012 10:55, ext anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>
>> Any progress with opening Gerrit to general public?
>
> Gerrit *is* open to the general public. The issue was anonymous access; that
> is now provided using the by mirroring the Gerrit repo to a read-only
> repository at Gitorious. This is the same setup as for all other Qt repos
> (and indeed, the mirroring is done by Qt, so there's little chance of it
> breaking up without anyone noticing.

Well, practical question then - how can I view the links below in Gitorious?

BTW, are GitHub repos mirrored by Qt too?
--
anatoly t.

Matti Airas

Mar 2, 2012, 5:41:57 AM3/2/12
to ext anatoly techtonik, pys...@qt-project.org
On 02.03.2012 11:57, ext anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Matti Airas<matti....@nokia.com> wrote:
>> On 02.03.2012 10:55, ext anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>> Any progress with opening Gerrit to general public?
>> Gerrit *is* open to the general public. The issue was anonymous access; that
>> is now provided using the by mirroring the Gerrit repo to a read-only
>> repository at Gitorious. This is the same setup as for all other Qt repos
>> (and indeed, the mirroring is done by Qt, so there's little chance of it
>> breaking up without anyone noticing.
> Well, practical question then - how can I view the links below in Gitorious?

Hint: A bit of constructive attitude will bring you far.

Gitorious just mirrors the repositories, not the code review
functionality. To view the commits, login to Gerrit.

As the login prompt states, create an account in
bugreports.qt-project.org (I believe you already have one). Then, use
those credentials to login to Gerrit.

> BTW, are GitHub repos mirrored by Qt too? -- anatoly t.

No, the GitHub repos are unofficial and not part of PySide project setup.

Cheers,

ma.

anatoly techtonik

Mar 2, 2012, 2:54:25 PM3/2/12
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Matti Airas <matti....@nokia.com> wrote:
> On 02.03.2012 11:57, ext anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Matti Airas<matti....@nokia.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> Gerrit *is* open to the general public. The issue was anonymous access;
>>> that
>>> is now provided using the by mirroring the Gerrit repo to a read-only
>>> repository at Gitorious. This is the same setup as for all other Qt repos
>>> (and indeed, the mirroring is done by Qt, so there's little chance of it
>>> breaking up without anyone noticing.
>>
>> Well, practical question then - how can I view the links below in
>> Gitorious?
>
> Hint: A bit of constructive attitude will bring you far.

I am as constructive as possible. The contributor agreement already
puts a high entry barrier for the new people, and further restrictions
on accessibility of developer information will do no good.

The problem with Gerrit links is that they are posted to the mailing
list. This list is read by users, who learn PySide. These users are
potential contributors. They might not had the need to write to the
list, so they probably read it from the web, and are not even
subscribed. If we say that 20% of users read PySide from the web,
that's a pretty big amount.

Let's assume that 80% of readers are subscribed. About 10% of them
have Jira account. About 50% of them are even logged in (because Jira
doesn't allow to OAuth/OpenID logins - that's a problem). So only 4%
can view those Gerrit links. I think that's a pretty low percentage
to take this issue seriously.

> Gitorious just mirrors the repositories, not the code review functionality.
> To view the commits, login to Gerrit.
>
> As the login prompt states, create an account in bugreports.qt-project.org
> (I believe you already have one). Then, use those credentials to login to
> Gerrit.

Why not just open Gerrit to anonymous read-only?

>> BTW, are GitHub repos mirrored by Qt too? -- anatoly t.
>
> No, the GitHub repos are unofficial and not part of PySide project setup.

But if they are more convenient and stable that those provided by Qt
Project, why can't Qt Project sync to them?
--
anatoly t.

John Veness

Mar 5, 2012, 4:48:24 AM3/5/12
to pys...@qt-project.org
This Gerrit-requiring-login issue is a Qt-wide problem, not specific to
PySide. I notice that there is already a bugtracker issue raised against
it - https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTQAINFRA-357 . It might
be more productive to discuss this on one of the Qt mailing lists (see
http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo).

John

anatoly techtonik

Mar 5, 2012, 5:02:23 AM3/5/12
to John Veness, pys...@qt-project.org
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM, John Veness
<john.vene...@pelago.org.uk> wrote:
> This Gerrit-requiring-login issue is a Qt-wide problem, not specific to
> PySide. I notice that there is already a bugtracker issue raised against
> it - https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTQAINFRA-357 . It might
> be more productive to discuss this on one of the Qt mailing lists (see
> http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo).

Thanks for the heads up. It is nice to see I am not alone to take it
seriously. There is a hint that Jira is the reason, but no technical
explanation. It is very unusual that open process of open source
project with open government is locked be the dependency from
proprietary product. At least that's my impression.

I'll write to GEG list. It is not too active, so let's hope there are
people who can help.
--
anatoly t.

anatoly techtonik

Mar 17, 2012, 10:51:22 AM3/17/12
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM, anatoly techtonik <tech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM, John Veness
> <john.vene...@pelago.org.uk> wrote:
>> This Gerrit-requiring-login issue is a Qt-wide problem, not specific to
>> PySide. I notice that there is already a bugtracker issue raised against
>> it - https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTQAINFRA-357 . It might
>> be more productive to discuss this on one of the Qt mailing lists (see
>> http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo).
>
> Thanks for the heads up. It is nice to see I am not alone to take it
> seriously. There is a hint that Jira is the reason, but no technical
> explanation. It is very unusual that open process of open source
> project with open government is locked be the dependency from
> proprietary product. At least that's my impression.
>
> I'll write to GEG list. It is not too active, so let's hope there are
> people who can help.

I can't see if I wrote about it, but the issue about opening Gerrit to
public has been given Critical priority. ;)
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTQAINFRA-357

If the time permits, I am going to do some research about using
repose.who as an authentication server for Gerrit, so if anybody has
experience or interested to help - feel free to join
http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo/geg