Merging pyside-setup, shiboken and pyside

Christian Tismer

May 9, 2017, 2:22:37 AM5/9/17
to pysid...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

you know that the PySide(2) project is sub-divided into three
main parts (no tools or examples):

pyside-setup, shiboken and pyside.

We have been fighting with this structure quite often.
It is sometimes really hard to keep the repositories in sync
when we have several open branches in the workings.

=================
The PySide Merger
=================

To simplify our work, and also to make it easier for everybody
to work with the project, we are considering to merge the three
repositories into one: PySide.

It is not planned to change the project structure in any way;
the three pieces stay logically apart as they are now:

We will just merge the repositories!
------------------------------------

It will also still be possible to use the parts alone.
But they now come in one chunk.

I know there are people who are using shiboken separately.
They need to change their workflow a little bit, because
they now need to checkout pyside and copy shiboken out of it.

If you see a problem with that, please contact us now.
We will for sure find a solution together.

Cheers -- Chris

--
Christian Tismer :^) tis...@stackless.com
Software Consulting : http://www.stackless.com/

signature.asc

Christian Tismer

May 10, 2017, 4:13:58 AM5/10/17
to Matthew Woehlke, pys...@qt-project.org, pysid...@googlegroups.com, Stefan Champailler
Hi Matthew,

I appreciate your input very much!
Which part of

"""We will just merge the repositories!
It will also still be possible to use the parts alone.
But they now come in one chunk."""

did you not understand?

Kind regards -- Chris

On 09.05.17 19:08, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2017-05-09 03:11, Stefan Champailler wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 May 2017 08:17:36 +0200 Christian Tismer wrote:
>>> We have been fighting with this structure quite often.
>>> It is sometimes really hard to keep the repositories in sync
>>> when we have several open branches in the workings.
>>>
>>> To simplify our work, and also to make it easier for everybody
>>> to work with the project, we are considering to merge the three
>>> repositories into one: PySide.
>>
>> Well, Shiboken being just a tool to build PySide, this makes sense :-)
>
> But...
>
>>> I know there are people who are using shiboken separately.
>>> They need to change their workflow a little bit, because
>>> they now need to checkout pyside and copy shiboken out of it.
>
> ...shiboken *isn't* "just a tool to build PySide". It's a tool to build
> *Python bindings*. It's true that PySide is the most obvious user
> (perhaps even the "original customer") of said tool, and that Shiboken
> certainly gets features added specifically to support PySide, but
> Shiboken is a good tool that is useful to projects *besides* PySide,
> some of which definitely don't want to be burdened by having to build
> PySide in order to produce Python bindings.
>
> I haven't been involved recently to have an understanding of how the
> current setup is causing problems, so I can't offer any meaningful
> suggestions, but I do worry this will hurt other users of Shiboken.
>
> At least, I would like to see that a) distributions can easily package
> Shiboken and PySide separately, and b) Shiboken can be built from source
> without also building PySide.
signature.asc