March 5th Meeting: Making Desktop Applications in Python

Matt Thompson

Feb 26, 2013, 12:54:34 PM2/26/13
to py...@googlegroups.com
The following is a repost of the Feb 26th meeting (I named it Jan 29th, whoops). I have a repository for it up at https://github.com/pysgf/wad-browser for people interested in playing around with the following modules before the meeting. I'll put up some simple bits of code to look at soon.

This meeting, we will be using the python modules pyside and requests to create a portable graphical utility to download maps and mods for the game Doom.

The idGames repository just released an API to access their files, which allows for this interesting project. The API is listed here: http://doomworld.com/idgames/api/

We will also be looking at packaging the application up as a portable binary with cxfreeze/py2exe/py2app.

Matt Thompson

Feb 27, 2013, 2:06:52 PM2/27/13
to py...@googlegroups.com
Here's an android app that has similar functionality: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.exl.doomidgamesarchive