Jan 29th Meeting: Making Desktop Applications in Python

Matt Thompson

Feb 25, 2013, 5:48:40 PM2/25/13
to py...@googlegroups.com
Note: If weather isn't permitting we will push the meeting back a week. Keep an eye on our Google group or Facebook for more information.

This meeting, we will be using the python modules pyside and requests to create a portable graphical utility to download maps and mods for the game Doom.

The idGames repository just released an API to access their files, which allows for this interesting project. The API is listed here: http://doomworld.com/idgames/api/

We will also be looking at packaging the application up as a portable binary with cxfreeze/py2exe/py2app.

Lyndsy Simon

Feb 26, 2013, 10:55:51 AM2/26/13
to py...@googlegroups.com
That sounds interesting, I've not built binary distributables in the past - I've always been a web guy.

I'd also be interested in doing a proof-of-concept for Ubuntu, targeting phones, tablets and desktops with one application.

For that matter - the Windows appstore supports Python these days via .NET/IronPython. I've not seen anyone release anything though, and I don't Visual Studio (or Windows) installed to play with it on my own at the moment.

I have access to an MSDN account and can probably get my hands on a development VM if we want to do that at a future meeting...

Matt Thompson

Feb 26, 2013, 12:40:06 PM2/26/13
to py...@googlegroups.com
The meeting is going to be moved to 3/5 because of snow. Feel free to read up and experiment with pyside and cxfreeze in the meantime, though! I will probably get a repository set up for it.

Lyndsy Simon

Feb 26, 2013, 2:18:57 PM2/26/13
to py...@googlegroups.com
Aww, that's unfortunate.

Thanks for letting us know ahead of time,t hough.