GSoC 18

Anna Philips

Feb 25, 2018, 4:46:18 PM2/25/18
to pysal-dev
Hi

I'm interested in contributing to PySAL for GSoC :)

I looked at the issues but there seems to be only 3 Good first PR?

Serge Rey

Feb 25, 2018, 7:34:28 PM2/25/18
to pysa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the project.

If you have particular interests, please let us know and we can try to point you to some issues that might be good ones.

Sergio (Serge) Rey
University of California, Riverside

“No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.”  Virginia Woolf

--

---

Anna Philips

Levi John Wolf

Feb 26, 2018, 6:43:53 AM2/26/18
to pysa...@googlegroups.com
For the reading on the Bayesian project, it might help to start by looking into the basics of where that endeavor starts, estimating the spatial econometric models in LeSage & Pace's 2008 book, Introduction to Spatial Econometrics

As far as familiarity with PySAL is concerned, the main important part for the Bayesian spatial models project is understanding the concepts & representations used in spatial weights matrices, which might be efficiently shown in this notebook.
--
Levi John Wolf
Lecturer in Quantitative Human Geography | University of Bristol

Anna Philips

Feb 26, 2018, 4:54:51 PM2/26/18
to pysal-dev
I've started on that and the two links you posted on gitter.

Dumb question but for issue 894 the weight matrix for a sphere is always going to be 1 (except for the 0s along the diagonal) for any dimension right?

Is there a particular time you or Serge Rey are online (gitter/mailing list)?

Thanks for the notebook I will check that out!

Serge Rey

Feb 26, 2018, 4:59:27 PM2/26/18
to pysa...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Anna Philips <ms.anna...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've started on that and the two links you posted on gitter.

Dumb question but for issue 894 the weight matrix for a sphere is always going to be 1 (except for the 0s along the diagonal) for any dimension right?

It depends on the definition of neighbor:  http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0160017610387297

Is there a particular time you or Serge Rey are online (gitter/mailing list)?

Given that Levi is in the UK and Serge is in California, one of us is likely to on line most times.

s.