New here

DomPazz

Dec 16, 2011, 11:58:49 PM12/16/11
to pyRserve
I'm just learning R and relearning Python (after a 5+ year hiatus).
Please excuse me if my questions are obvious and I just missed the
point somewhere along the way.

I downloaded and started playing with Rserve and pyRserve tonight.
Seems like a good fit for me in that I am looking to combine the two
languages for my home projects. One thing I have seen is that I can
only have 1 client connected to the Rserve server at any time. Is
this by design or do I have a configuration wrong? I can see where I
would want to have multiple clients connected to R to take advantage
of the multiple cores on my computer.

Thanks
Dominic

Ralph Heinkel

Dec 17, 2011, 6:14:08 AM12/17/11
to pyRserve
Hello Dominic,
we regularly connect from multiple clients to the same Rserve instance
without problems so this should work. What kind of error do you get
when you try to open a second connection?

Ralph

DomPazz

Dec 17, 2011, 10:26:24 AM12/17/11
to pyRserve
I think it is Rserve and Windows. After I posted, I dug into their
documentation and it says that issues with the namespace cause Windows
instances to only allow 1 client connection at a time.

Do you know if it would work if I had multiple instances of Rserve
running on different ports?

Ralph Heinkel

Dec 17, 2011, 11:29:41 AM12/17/11
to pyrs...@googlegroups.com
Actually I have only very little experience with Windows ... we run
all of our servers on linux machines, with only one or two windows
clients.
So, yes, there is a chance starting up multiple Rserve instances on
different ports, why don't you give it a try?
Unfortunately this is a limitation to Rserve (not to pyRserve) so
there is not much I can do about it.
Hopefully the solution with running on multiple port works for you.
Apart from that you could always install a Linux Virtual Machine on
your windows PC, and connect to an Rserve instance within that VM.
This would then allow for multiple connections.

Ciao ciao

Ralph

DomPazz

Dec 17, 2011, 1:31:38 PM12/17/11
to pyRserve
I will definitely give it a shot. The Linux VM might not be a bad
idea either.

I appreciate the effort on making pyRserve. I will let you know if I
come across any issues or have ideas for new features.

Thanks
Dominic