Compiling rtorrent-PS on Solaris 11.4: problem with views: misaligned columns; duplicated text.

TheBloke

Sep 3, 2018, 1:43:40 AM9/3/18
to pyroscope-users
Hi Pyroscope

I've managed to get the latest rtorrent-PS compiled on Solaris 11.4, using GCC 7.3.0.  Mostly it works fine, but there's one big problem:  terminal display is incorrect, with columns not aligning correctly and some characters duplicated.   This is best shown in a screenshot:  https://i.imgur.com/eTsnJub.png .  The "started" view is even worse:  https://i.imgur.com/KrkBOGT.png

In non-condensed mode things are nearly normal, although one row still hangs onto the next line by one } char, and the "active row" indicator jams on that row:  https://i.imgur.com/rLq57w6.png

I do not see any issues in vanilla rtorrent, either 0.9.6 or 0.9.7.

My default TERM is xterm-256color.  For locale I have tried en_US.UTF-8 and en_GB.UTF-8 (my normal choice).   I have pyrocore installed, and have tested with your ~/rtorrent/start script, ensuring LANG is definitely set correctly.  LC_* are  unset.  I have also tested in tmux -2u with TERM=screen-256color and TERM=tmux-256color, which again made no difference.  I have also tested various other TERM values, both in and out of tmux, and again the problem remains in all.  I even tried screen.

I thought it could be a NCurses/NCursesW issue.  Solaris 11.4 includes NCurses 6.0, compiled as the version 5 ABI.  I did my own separate compile of the latest NCurses 6.1.0 with ABI=6 and integrated it into the rtorrent-PS build, but this made no difference.  I have confirmed that I am using the normal GNU terminfo database, and tried setting the latest terminfo database location on the commandline, eg: TERMINFO=~/.local/ncurses-6.1/usr/share/terminfo rtorrent/start

I've run the terminal tests mentioned in the docs, which work fine.  The PYTHONIOENCODING=utf-8 python -c ...  command prints:
⋅ ⋅⋅ ” ’ ♯ ☢ ☍ ⌘ ✰ ⣿ ⚡ ☯ ⚑ ↺ ⤴ ⤵ ∆ ⌚ ≀∇ ✇ ⚠ ◔ ⚡ ↯ ¿ ⨂ ✖ ⇣ ⇡ ⠁ ⠉ ⠋ ⠛ ⠟ ⠿ ⡿ ⣿ ☹ ➀ ➁ ➂ ➃ ➄ ➅ ➆ ➇ ➈ ➉ ▹ ╍ ▪ ⚯ ⚒ ◌ ⇅ ↡ ↟ ⊛ ♺

term-256color.py also worked fine, printing all 256 colours as expected.  Screenshots:
Python Encoding test:  https://i.imgur.com/RC6OPYH.png
term-256color-py test:  https://i.imgur.com/YZUWCwR.png

I have confirmed that other ncurses apps like Vim work fine with UTF-8 widechars, eg by opening your src/ui_pyroscope.cc in Vim and confirming the special chars all look OK.  Finally I also tried chros73's fork, rtorrent-PS-ch 1.8.0/0.9.7, and found it has the same problem - actually it's slightly worse, the views are even more corrupted; maybe just because it uses a different layout.

I've now tried everything I can think of and am out of ideas.  Would you have have any idea on how I can debug and resolve this?

Here's my rtorrent-0.9.6/config.log in case it's of use (taken from a compile using the system NCurses 6.0 with ABI=5): https://gist.github.com/bbe1600d65acf3863f15fac94a600163  . FYI In order to build on Solaris I had to integrate GNULib to provide a portable version of random_r and initstate_r (no glibc in Solaris), so you might notice some unexpected extra logging in config.log because of that.

Let me know if I can provide any further info, and many thanks in advance for any help.

Tom  (TheBloke)

TheBloke

Sep 5, 2018, 9:09:24 AM9/5/18
to pyroscope-users
One more piece of info:  I was wrong in my first post when I said the issue only seems to affect rtorrent-PS.

I have found the issue also affects tmux + vim.  In other words, when I run vim inside tmux, I see a similar problem with UTF-8 chars.  But only when vim is run inside tmux.

To demonstrate this I made a simple text file, containing some of the special chars found in src/ui_pyroscope.cc.  Here's the contenst of the file:

tomj@vbox-sol114:~$ cat ~/utf8chars
        // "  ⠁ ⠉ ⠋ ⠛ ⠟ ⠿ ⡿ ⣿ ❚ "
        //⠀"  ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ "
        // "☹ ➀ ➁ ➂ ➃ ➄ ➅ ➆ ➇ ➈ ➉ " "😇 "
        // "☹ ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩ "
        // "☹ ➊ ➋ ➌ ➍ ➎ ➏ ➐ ➑ ➒ ➓ "

Now, here's some screenshots:

1. vim ~/utf8chars, not in tmux =  works fine:  https://i.imgur.com/h2HyMX3.png
2.  In tmux, cat ~/utf8chars = works fine:  https://i.imgur.com/QuMMWH5.png
3. In tmux -2u with "set -g default-terminal screen-256colors", vim ~/utf8chars = PROBLEM:  https://i.imgur.com/MY2jarb.png
4. In tmux -2u with "set -g default-terminal tmux-256colors", vim ~/utf8chars = WORSE PROBLEM:  https://i.imgur.com/YqP64I3.png

In tmux with "set -g default-terminal screen-256colors", the characters are displaying, but the spacing is all messed up - exactly like I see in rtorrent-PS.  Then in tmux with default-terminal tmux-256colors, the problem is even worse: those characters don't even display.  Trying default-terminal xterm-256colors in tmux gives the same result as screen-256colors, ie characters display but with messed up spacing.

The default tmux on Solaris is 2.2, compiled against NCursesW 6.0 with ABI=5.  I've also tried compiling tmux myself, latest version 2.7, and linked against NCursesW 6.1 with ABI=6.  But this gives identical results, ie broken in exactly the same way.

I realise that all this indicates that the problem is not actually in rtorrent-PS, but I'm hoping these symptoms might give some idea of what my issue might be?

Note that in all cases I am running with TERM=xterm-256color,  LANG=en_US.UTF-8, and am using an UTF-8 capable terminal (iTerm2 on Mac OS with UTF8 explicitly enabled).   Inside tmux, TERM is either screen-256color or tmux-256color as mentioned above.

I'd be most grateful for any advice you can offer.  Thanks again.

TheBloke

Sep 5, 2018, 9:11:22 AM9/5/18
to pyroscope-users
In above post, I meant: screen-256color,  tmux-256color and xterm-256color   (not color*s*)

Krisztian Kovacs

Sep 5, 2018, 1:13:44 PM9/5/18
to pyrosco...@googlegroups.com
Report tge vim problem to tmux, Nick and Tom respond pretty quickly, maybe they know what the culprit is.

TheBloke

Sep 5, 2018, 1:23:31 PM9/5/18
to pyroscope-users
OK good idea, thanks.  I'm currently preparing a post on some Solaris support forums but yeah I'll go direct to tmux as well.

It seems like it must be something on Solaris itself, I just can't figure out what it could be given all the libraries involved are GNU and known to work elsewhere.   And it's not everything broken - vim itself works fine, for example - just certain combinations like tmux + vim, and unfortuntately rtorrent-PS in all scenarios.

Anyway yeah I'll try the tmux guys and the Solaris guys (if I can find any) and see what I can dig up.

Thanks.