Fall release

Joe Gibbs Politz

Aug 23, 2016, 10:32:40 PM8/23/16
to pyret-...@googlegroups.com, pyret-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

We've pushed out a new release to code.pyret.org today, which,
language-feature-wise, will be stable for the fall semester. We still have
some UI improvements and a few enhancements that may show up in the next few
weeks that don't change the language. Aside from a few new keywords and
library functions taking up space that identifiers may have used before, there
aren't any backwards-incompatible language or API changes.

We'll again do feature-by-feature announcements every few days, with a summary
here. Most of these features have been in nontrivial use over the summer on
the development branches, and are efforts we're rolling out to push the
language in new directions.

- We've added an entirely new datatype, called _tables_ to the language. Their
documentation is at

https://www.pyret.org/docs/latest/tables.html

We'll be sharing more examples and tutorial-like materials on tables in the
future.

Tables' syntax is still a bit experimental, and may change based on what we
learn from using them this year. However, we're pretty excited about some of
the things we can pull off with a tabular, data-manipulation primitive in the
language, so tables themselves are here to stay.

- The world library has been redesigned and extended into a new construct
called _reactors_:

https://www.pyret.org/docs/latest/reactors.html

The main new feature here is programmatic control over interaction with the
event-loop, taking steps towards event loops as first-class values. It also
has some useful functions for examining the traced output of an interaction.

Note that the existing world library (with big-bang) is still supported;
we'll announce clearly when and if we make plans to deprecate it.

- We've extended tuple bindings so they can appear anywhere normal bindings
appear, see

https://www.pyret.org/docs/latest/Bindings.html#%28part._.Tuple_bindings%29

- The type checker, while still in beta, has gotten better at local inference
and generally hardened and robustified. Do try it out if you haven't
already.

- Documentation formatting and presentation has been improved in several
places, especially in documenting language forms (though we're aware that
there's still a lot to do to improve documentation).

Cheers,
The Pyret Crew

Tom Hoffman

Aug 29, 2016, 4:58:08 PM8/29/16
to pyret-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Joe Gibbs Politz <joe.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

- We've added an entirely new datatype, called _tables_ to the language.  Their
  documentation is at

  https://www.pyret.org/docs/latest/tables.html

  We'll be sharing more examples and tutorial-like materials on tables in the
  future.

While the more complete materials are brewing, any hints on how to get the id of a Google Sheet?  Anything in particular have to be done in terms of sharing settings?

Thanks!
Tom

Samuel Dooman

Sep 2, 2016, 5:03:05 PM9/2/16
to Pyret Discuss
Hi Tom,

Here is a hyperlink to an example Google Sheet:

The ID of the Sheet is the string that comes after the /d/ delimiter.  So in this example, the ID is "19oh3j7L_-V4cIKh-23XwkBMkDWOxL7EAjCysjLnCq5U".
In order for Pyret to be able to use this ID, link sharing must be turned on for the document.  To do this, click File -> Share -> Get Shareable Link in your Google Sheet.

This is a topic that will be covered in Part 2 of the Pyret and Google Sheets Tutorial, which should be posted in a couple days.  Here's a link to the thread for Part 1.

Sam

Tom Hoffman

Sep 2, 2016, 5:18:00 PM9/2/16
to pyret-...@googlegroups.com