licensing question

Adam Kowalski

Sep 10, 2023, 10:03:03 PM9/10/23
to pyqtgraph
Hi,

I'm very new to licensing aspect of software.  If I put my own code (which makes use of a slightly modified version of PyQtGraph) on PyPI, then should I include the PyQtGraph License as well as a MIT license for my code?

For the license for my own code, I see that on https://opensource.org/license/mit/
one could just copy and paste this into a new license file and put my name and date next to the copyright line.  But can I just create a copyright like this or is there some formal legal procedure one must go through to obtain an actual copyright?

Thank you very much.
Adam K.

Ognyan Moore

Sep 11, 2023, 12:18:32 AM9/11/23
to pyqt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not an area I have much expertise, but my understanding is you do not need to include PyQtGraph's license unless you are redistributing PyQtGraph's source code.  If your application lists PyQtGraph as a dependency, then you do not need to do anything special.