Thermal Storage with Time-Dependent Loss Rate

MOHAMMAD ALJUBRAN

Mar 24, 2022, 3:59:46 AM3/24/22
to pypsa
Hi everyone! I am new to PyPSA and am trying to use thermal storage (hot water tank) for dispatch. My question is, the loss rate of the hot storage tank is time-dependent as it varies based on the tank temperature. How can I incorporate time-varying loss rate based on heat transfer?

Fabian Neumann

Mar 24, 2022, 4:42:31 AM3/24/22
to MOHAMMAD ALJUBRAN, pypsa
Hi,

time-varying standing losses of Stores are currently not supported in
PyPSA, but we would welcome a pull request that implements it.

https://pypsa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/components.html#store

As a guidance you could look at how the time-dependent efficiency is
implemented for the link component:

https://pypsa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/components.html#link

This would be an exogenous standing loss time series. A
temperature-dependency (dependency of energy in store) would make the
problem nonlinear, which is not supported in PyPSA, i.e. would contain

standing_loss(E) * E

Best wishes,

Fabian

--
Dr.-Ing.
Fabian Neumann (he/him)

Department of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems
Institute of Energy Technology
Technische Universität Berlin

Group website: https://tub-ensys.github.io
Personal website: https://neumann.fyi

Zoom: https://tu-berlin.zoom.us/my/fneum
Schedule Meeting: https://calendly.com/fneum

Visitor Address:
Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)
10587 Berlin

My working hours may not be your working hours. Do not feel pressure to