Implement CHP into network (generator or link?)

Elias Althoff

Mar 24, 2022, 5:29:24 AM3/24/22
to pypsa
Dear all,

by now I have quite a complex electric network and it works very well.

Now I want to do the next step and couple the sectors. I added another set of buses with the carrier heat and added a load. Now I wanna connect my generators to those buses. I always intented to add a heat source, which is why when I implemented my generators I already seperated them into CHP and non-CHP. Now, I see that in the example, the CHP is implemented as a link. Can I also use my CHP plants, which are implemented as generators? Or is any sectorcoupling done with a Link?
Also: In the example, the CHP is connected to a gas-storage. Is that necessary? Or can I leave the gas supply out of the equation for now?

Best wishes,
Elias

Fabian Neumann

Mar 24, 2022, 5:34:17 AM3/24/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elias,

as soon as you want to represent a technology that has multiple inputs
or outputs, you'll need to use a link; in case of CHP

gas (input) --> heat (output)
--> electricity (output)

Then you have 3 buses involved: gas, heat, electricity.

The gas node then needs energy provision in form of a gas "generator"
that feeds gas into the system.

We usually model CHPs as backpressure plants with fixed ratio
heat/electricity (that's how most would behave).

Best wishes,

Fabian

--
Dr.-Ing.
Fabian Neumann (he/him)

Department of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems
Institute of Energy Technology
Technische Universität Berlin

Group website: https://tub-ensys.github.io
Personal website: https://neumann.fyi

Zoom: https://tu-berlin.zoom.us/my/fneum
Schedule Meeting: https://calendly.com/fneum

Visitor Address:
Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)
10587 Berlin

My working hours may not be your working hours. Do not feel pressure to