Capacity per square km

Emir F

Oct 26, 2022, 5:01:48 AM10/26/22
to pypsa
Regarding the "Calculate Landuse Availabilities guide in the Atlite read the docs.

The following assumption is made regarding the capacity per square kilometre:
cap_per_sqkm = 1.7

Is there any reference to this number? I have found multiple papers that indicate much higher capacity densities per sqkm, such as:

Wind: 19.8 MW/km2

Solar: 81.8 MW/km2, or other estimates claiming 5-10 acers per MW, equalling some 25-50 MW/km2.

Some comments on why 1.7 is used in Atlite would be much appreciated!

Best,

Emir

Matthew Smith

Nov 2, 2022, 5:57:39 AM11/2/22
to pypsa
Hi,

Just to support your points, here are some datapoints for much high solar PV capacity densities:

Matt

Johannes Hampp

Nov 2, 2022, 6:43:50 AM11/2/22
to Matthew Smith, pypsa
Dear Emir, Dear Matthew,

The atlite example with 1.7 MW/km² follows somewhat the assumptions we
make in PyPSA-EUR.

Have a look at the comments from the config file here:

https://pypsa-eur.readthedocs.io/en/latest/configuration.html#onwind

Numbers are related to Y. Scholz's thesis from 2012 [1]. The capacity
per sqkm represents something like a realistic, socio-eco-technical
potential for large regions.

I.e. if technical potential is 170 MW/km² but of the eligible land
(after land analysis) only 1% is realised as projects due to
non-considered constraints (=heuristic), then you end up at 1.7 MW/km².

You can see the same for wind potentials where wind farms have high peak
power densities but if you look at it from a larger scale you can only
extract like 2-3 MW/km² sustainably from the atmosphere.

The better your analysis of eligible land is and the more precisely you
can locate your PV plants / wind farms, the higher you can set the
potential.

HTH & best,
Johannes

[1] http://dx.doi.org/10.18419/opus-2015

Best regards,
Johannes Hampp (he/him)

Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU)
Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU)

mailto: johanne...@zeu.uni-giessen.de

Senckenbergstr. 3
DE-35392 Giessen
https://uni-giessen.de/zeu

Am 02/11/2022 um 10:57 schrieb Matthew Smith:
> Hi,
>
> Just to support your points, here are some datapoints for much high
> solar PV capacity densities:
>
> * Sudair PV (Saudi) - 50 MW/km2 -
> https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/projects/sudair-solar-power-plant/
> * Bhadla Solar Park, India - 48 MW/km2 -
> https://www.prosperoevents.com/12-of-the-largest-solar-parks-in-the-world/
> * Theoretical estimate - 82 MW/km2 -
> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-05247-2
> * Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Power Project India - 117 MW/km2 -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewa_Ultra_Mega_Solar
> * Sakaka Solar Power Plant (saudi arabia) - 50 MW/km2 -
> https://www.vision2030.gov.sa/v2030/v2030-projects/sakaka-solar-power-plant/#:~:text=The%20Sakaka%20Solar%20Power%20Plant,(PV)%20to%20generate%20electricity.
> * Waree example - 49 MW/km2 -
> https://www.waaree.com/blog/5-mw-solar-power-plant-in-india
>
> Best regards,
> Matt
>
> On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 at 14:31:48 UTC+5:30 emirfe...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> Regarding the "Calculate Landuse Availabilities guide in the Atlite
> read the docs.
>
> The following assumption is made regarding the capacity per square
> kilometre:
> cap_per_sqkm = 1.7
>
> Is there any reference to this number? I have found multiple papers
> that indicate much higher capacity densities per sqkm, such as:
>
> Wind: 19.8 MW/km2
>
> https://web.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/Articles/I/WindSpacing.pdf <https://web.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/Articles/I/WindSpacing.pdf>
>

> Solar: 81.8 MW/km2, or other estimates claiming 5-10 acers per MW,
> equalling some 25-50 MW/km2.
>
> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-05247-2
> <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-05247-2>
>
> Some comments on why 1.7 is used in Atlite would be much appreciated!
>
> Best,
>
> Emir
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pypsa/4f5873b0-8441-4237-a917-fd6898b99586n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pypsa/4f5873b0-8441-4237-a917-fd6898b99586n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emir F

Nov 2, 2022, 9:31:07 AM11/2/22
to pypsa
Dear Johannes, Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your explanation and reference to the assumption. I also came to the conclusion that a more detailed analysis of land availability must be conducted in order to exploit high capacity per unit of land.

Best,

Emir