Loss Sensitvities Analysis

Ben Cerini

Jun 23, 2024, 8:42:33 PM (13 days ago) Jun 23
to pypsa
Hi PyPSA community,

I'm looking to use PyPSA for our market and load flow modelling but I have some questions about whether PyPSA can replicate two out we are looking for:
1. Marginal loss factor calculation; and
2. Ancillary service markets (i.e. co-optimisation of multiple markets in the one model)

Loss Factors
We have previosuly used PowerWorld and the output has been generated by using their Loss Sensitivities analysis.

Essentially I am trying to run a "sensitivity of a real power loss function, PLosses, to bus real and reactive power injections. Stated mathematically, the display calculates d PLosses/d Pi and d PLosses/d Qi , where Pi and Qi are the real and reactive power injections at bus i, respectively.

Stated less formally, the display indicates how losses would change if one more MW or Mvar of power were injected at bus i. Simulator can calculate the losses for a bus relative to losses in the bus’ island or area, to losses in a select group of areas, or, if the bus belongs to a super area"

The above quite is taken from PowerWorld documentation. I was wondering if somethign like this is possible is PyPSA or if anyone has undertaken loss sensitivities?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Cheers

Ben