Negative marginal costs

Paul Reggentin

Aug 5, 2022, 5:56:04 AM8/5/22
to pypsa
Hi Fabian,

Thanks for all of the help with the model & especially with the quick responses.

I'm currently finalizing my model and trying to run some analysis on it, but there's a part of the costs.csv file that I don't understand. Specifically, there are negative marginal costs for a few elements, specifically:

DC and H2 links,
co2,
co2 stored,
and urban central water tanks.

I'm trying to split up system costs by sector and carrier, and I can't quite understand why these costs would be negative. Would it make more sense to ignore them, or to sign correct them?

The negative costs have a magnitude of  only around 0.001% of the total costs, so they don't really affect the result, but I was just wondering if there's a way to explain where they come from.

Best,
Paul

Fabian Neumann

Aug 5, 2022, 9:44:04 AM8/5/22
to Paul Reggentin, pypsa
Hi Paul,

you can ignore these very small values.

As you say, they make only a very small fraction of TSC, which is close
to the solver convergence tolerances, e.g. 1e-4, 1e-5.

Best wishes,

Fabian N

--
Dr.-Ing.
Fabian Neumann (he/him)

Department of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems
Institute of Energy Technology
Technische Universität Berlin

Group website: https://tub-ensys.github.io
Personal website: https://neumann.fyi
Schedule Meeting: https://calendly.com/fneum

Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)
10587 Berlin

My working hours may not be your working hours. Do not feel pressure to