FBMC possible at PyPSA?

Carlo

Mar 14, 2023, 3:58:07 PM3/14/23
to pypsa
Hello, I am Carlos Tellez, a master's candidate in electrical engineering working on my thesis at the University of South Eastern Norway. My supervisor and I are thinking of developing an application to calculate and compare the NTC (Net Transfer Capacity) and FBMC (Flow-Based Market Coupling) market models for the Nordic countries.

I have been reviewing the PyPSA (Python for Power System Analysis) code, but I can't find a function that allows me to model and optimize the network for FBMC. Therefore, I would like to ask the PyPSA community: is it possible to model electricity markets based on FBMC using PyPSA? If so, how can I do it? Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Fabian Neumann

Mar 15, 2023, 3:34:19 AM3/15/23
to pypsa
Hi Carlos,

PyPSA has implemented LOPF (linearised optimal power flow), which can be used for an approximative FBMC with aggregated bidding zones.

In the narrow sense, FBMC algorithms are not implemented in PyPSA, but important building blocks like PTDF matrices can be provided. They are usually iterative and have specific rules:

Best wishes,

Fabian N