The data required for building the power system in Japan and China

Tuo ZHANG

Feb 28, 2023, 1:49:11 AM2/28/23
to pypsa

Dear friends,

I am working on building pypsa for China and Japan.
And I discovered this website with instructions for plotting the power system at the county level such as Argentina:

https://github.com/pypsa-meets-earth/documentation/blob/main/notebooks/viz/regional_transm_system_viz.ipynb

It seems that Max also posted the power network plots for China and Africa.

My question is that whether the data needed for this plot is open-sourced?

Thank you for your kindly advice.

Max Parzen

Feb 28, 2023, 5:25:50 PM2/28/23
to pypsa
Hi Zhang,

You can use PyPSA-Earth to model the power system for China and Japan (& also soon in a sector coupled way with myopic optimization etc).
All data is open and the code is open-source within PyPSA-Earth to make it work.
1. Follow the getting started part here: https://github.com/pypsa-meets-earth/pypsa-earth
2. Make sure the Nigeria case solves in your case (it's tested by Continous integration tests)
3. Try to change the countries in config.default.yaml by using as `countries: ["CN", "JP"]` (two letter iso codes)
4. Run `snakemake -j1 solve_all_networks`

Checking the status of PyPSA-Earth availbility below, It seems there are some performance/ little issues at China/Japan.
This can be fixed relatively easily and allows you to use and contribute to a maintained/active model.
If you try this path instead of creating a new model, please reach out on Discord https://discord.gg/AnuJBk23FU
We are happy to help fixing your issues.

Best wishes,

Max

Tuo ZHANG

Mar 1, 2023, 1:10:41 AM3/1/23