Question about hydro p_max_pu hydro power plant (Costa Rica)

Alonso Jiménez Ureña

Mar 25, 2023, 8:03:07 AM3/25/23
to pypsa
Hi, everyone.

I am modeling the electricity grid of Costa Rica using PyPSA. Right now, I have no information added to the column "p_max_pu" of the hydro power plants.

For the solar and wind, I have downloaded time series of electricity output per wind or solar farm using Renewables.Ninja.

Any tip about how to do it for the hydro power plants?

Thanks,

Alonso Jimenez
MEng Student in Energy and Environmental Management. Germany.

Max Parzen

Mar 25, 2023, 2:13:29 PM3/25/23
to pypsa
Hi Alonso,

This can get fairly complex. You can get inspired from PyPSA-Eur or PyPSA-Earth by searching on Github in these repos for "hydro". There you see and try to understand how we modelled hydro.

Also, is there any reason you do not use PyPSA-Earth? The green countries below are running with 1-3 lines of code. In a way, we provide 180+ starter kits around the world and that you can validate and improve within the PyPSA-Earth model. Github repo: https://github.com/pypsa-meets-earth/pypsa-earth

Best wishes,

Max