Open electricity model PyPSA-EUR adds Ukraine and Moldova

Fabian Hofmann

Mar 18, 2022, 7:47:09 AM3/18/22
to py...@googlegroups.com

Dear pypsa users,

on Wednesday, the power grids of Ukraine and Moldova were integrated into the Continental European Syncronous Area CESA. Combined with the attacks on Ukraine's energy infrastructure and in particular the nuclear reactors in Zaporizhzhya, this raises not only short-term but also medium- and long-term questions. These apply in particular to the design of restoration, reconstruction of infrastructure and integration into the Continental European electricity system.

Therefore, over the last two weeks, we have been working to extend our PyPSA-EUR transmission network model to include Moldova and Ukraine.

On top of the current 33 countries that are covered by the model, the network now includes Ukraine and Moldova:

- topology of the transmission network based on the interactive ENTSO-E map
- existing power plants (nuclear, coal, gas and hydro)
- heuristically distributed load time series by GDP
- synthetic wind and solar profiles based on ERA5 and SARAH-2
- heuristic hydropower profiles based on ERA5 and EIA data
- wind and solar potentials based on Copernicus Land Cover dataset
- 750 kV transmission lines

Due to the dynamic stiuation, the data does not represent the most current status, but a status from before the Russian invasion. If you have any suggestions for improvement, don't hesitate to contact us!

The extended model is a preliminary version that exists in parallel to our actual model. Depending on the development of the situation we will make adjustments to allow for medium and long term modeling.

Details and installation instructions can be found here: https://pypsa-eur.readthedocs.io/en/latest/release_notes.html#synchronisation-release-ukraine-and-moldova-17th-march-2022

Best regards,

Martha Frysztacki, Philipp Glaum, Johannes Hampp, Fabian Hofmann, Fabian Neumann, Iegor Riepin

(PyPSA-EUR Team)

network.pdf