Multi year optimization - marginal costs

Alexander Priven

Jul 21, 2022, 2:10:50 PM7/21/22
to pypsa
Hello,

I am running a multi-year optimization model with a variety of generators and fuel mixes. For each generator, I would like to be able to change their marginal costs for each year - is this possible? Or are marginal costs of producing an additional mwH set no matter what the year is?

Perhaps this is more feasible by adding an investment_period column in the carriers file so that marginal costs for each fuel type can change year to year?

Appreciate any input, thank you.

Fabian Neumann

Jul 22, 2022, 4:36:29 AM7/22/22
to Alexander Priven, pypsa
Hi Alexander,

in general the marginal_cost of a generator can be time-varying just as
for instance p_max_pu. So not just different by year, but every timestep.

When you do a multi-horizon optimisation, your n.snapshots will be a
multiindex (period and timestep). Create a dataframe for the marginal
cost with n.snapshots as index and your generators as columns. Then do:

n.add("Generator", ..., marginal_cost=dataframe)

Best wishes,

Fabian N

--
Dr.-Ing.
Fabian Neumann (he/him)

Department of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems
Institute of Energy Technology
Technische Universität Berlin

Group website: https://tub-ensys.github.io
Personal website: https://neumann.fyi
Schedule Meeting: https://calendly.com/fneum

Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)
10587 Berlin

My working hours may not be your working hours. Do not feel pressure to