Modeling of balancing power

gktho...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2019, 3:48:45 AM4/2/19
to pypsa
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if there is a way to model balancing services with pypsa, mainly upward balancing power. What I would basically like to do is to include a constraint that makes the model withhold a certain amount of on line capacity.

So far I thought of creating a second node with the balancing demand. But then, I guess I could not select which power plants are able to provide balancing services. Furthermore, it would be perfect if the model wouldn't need to "burn fuel" to provide balancing reserves.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Georg

Max Parzen

Nov 4, 2022, 10:25:35 AM11/4/22
to pypsa
Hi Georg,

Yes, balancing services can be explored. Both PyPSA-Eur and PyPSA-Earth implemented reserve constraints.
Check also our recent user meeting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmwDxNpSMM4
Someone was speaking about frequency reserves & how they model it.
Such an implementation would be highly welcome.

Best wishes,

Max

Carlo

Apr 26, 2023, 4:32:17 AM4/26/23
to pypsa
Hello Max,
I am also interested on implementing power balance on Pypsa in an small nordic model I am developing in the USN in Norway but I have not found the video segment you are mentioning in the comment above. Could you help me to find it? I would appreciate it.

Carlos

Max Parzen

Apr 26, 2023, 5:25:47 AM4/26/23
to Carlo, pypsa
Hi Carlo,

For the Nordic model, I recommend using PyPSA-Eur and not developing from scratch. You can reduce the EU model to any group of countries in the config file: https://github.com/PyPSA/pypsa-eur/blob/98c4a1e0f069cdaaa3e4c98fccd2869d148d8d12/config/config.default.yaml#L62. While PyPSA-Eur looks big, there is also a ton of training material available e.g. PyPSA-Earth hackathon or PyPSA-Eur tutorial. Exploring there your "power balancing" task can have more impact.

The frequency reserve video using PyPSA can be found here: https://youtu.be/fmwDxNpSMM4?t=8043

Best wishes,

Max

--

Maximilian Parzen
PhD Candidate in Energy System Modelling | Energy Storage

Director of PyPSA meets Earth – A Global Open Energy System Model Initiative

School of Engineering | University of Edinburgh

Tel: +49 (0)176 70889068Add me on LinkedIn | Skype: max.parzen

Image preview