Transmission expansion calculation

Felix Delgado Elizundia

Aug 10, 2022, 1:09:14 PM8/10/22
to pypsa
Hello! I hope you are well

I wanted to ask a quick question regarding the expansion of transmission lines and links. and particularly s_nom and s_nom_opt.

I have done the exercise as is shown in the tutorial, where to calculate the expansion of the lines you substract n.lines.s_nom_opt minus n.lines.s_nom. However this results in minimal differences (1e-13) and only in some cases and noticed that the sum of n.lines.s_nom_opt is the same as the sum n.lines.s_nom. Implying no real change

I wanted to understand, especially because while using the plotting function, I could see the some lines where expanded  heavily.
I noticed that in the plot_network.py script s_nom_opt is plotted against s_nom_min. And indeed by checking, as seen in the image below, s_nom_min is lower than both s_nom_opt and s_nom.

In this sense I wanted to ask the following questions.
  • How is it that s_nom_min can be lower than s_nom (in some cases 0) and the same as s_nom_opt? I understand that lines can only be expanded and that s_nom_min was set at the value of s_nom. Could the optimization be overwriting the s_nom value?
  • To calculate line expansion during the optimization, should I use s_nom_min instead?
Would love to hear if you have any insights or clarity on my questions and thank you in advance. have a great evening!

Screenshot 2022-08-10 185714.png

Screenshot 2022-08-10 190809.png

Fabian Neumann

Aug 29, 2022, 2:16:17 AM8/29/22
to Felix Delgado Elizundia, pypsa
Hi Felix,

you're analysis is quite correct.

In PyPSA-Eur, you should take s_nom_opt - s_nom_min for the calculation
of line expansion.

The reason is that indeed s_nom gets new values when calling the
function n.ilopf(), which iteratively solves lopf while adjusting line
impedances to line expansion. This is intended.

Best wishes,

Fabian N

--
Dr.-Ing.
Fabian Neumann (he/him)

Department of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems
Institute of Energy Technology
Technische Universität Berlin

Group website: https://tub-ensys.github.io
Personal website: https://neumann.fyi
Schedule Meeting: https://calendly.com/fneum

Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)
10587 Berlin

My working hours may not be your working hours. Do not feel pressure to