[pypsa-eur] Cost calculation of HVDC lines

Jan Hendrik Smeets

May 30, 2024, 6:35:17 AMMay 30
to pypsa
Dear all,

I would like to understand the network expansion costs that PyPSA-Eur uses, as they are considered for a project. The HVAC overhead lines, which are also considered in the TYNDP, are of particular interest.

Basically, I want to understand how the capital_cost of HVAC overhead lines is calculated and on what data basis this is done.

I did a bit of research and found out that the costs for HVAC overhead lines are calculated in the ‘cluster_network.py’ script using the ‘load_costs()’ function from the ‘add_electricity.py’ script.
A .csv file is read into the ‘load_costs()’ function, but I cannot find where I can find this file.
Furthermore, I cannot find a value in the function that relates to the HVAC overhead lines. Are the costs for this even calculated in the function?
Can I enter a new parameter in the config file under ‘costs: capital costs:’ that adjusts the costs? And if so, how can I take into account the dependency on the power and length?

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Jan Hendrik