Enhancement Request: Retrieve Technical Metadata

Jujube Menon

Jan 25, 2024, 12:22:35 PMJan 25
to pyPreservica
Currently, PyPreservica Entity API retrieves descriptive metadata. We have a requirement to generate IIIF manifests for audio and video material, This requires us to extract technical metadata from Preservica. Specifically, Duration.

<Property>
<PUID>prp/10002</PUID>
<PropertyName>Duration</PropertyName>
<Value>1H24M38.292S</Value>
</Property>

We are using AWS Lambda in Python to invoke the standard Preservica REST API to do this. At the same time, we are using AWS Lambdas with PyPreservica to get the descriptive metadata and the assets. It creates some issues but not unresolvable in Step Functions when we merge all this data along with the asset metadata. Would be good  to have access to some basic technical metadata from <Properties> including Duration using PyPreservica.

Thanks, Vinod

James Carr

Jan 29, 2024, 4:15:24 AMJan 29
to pyPreservica
I have created a new version 2.6.0 which does now allow you to access the technical properties. They are found on the Generation object.

Jujube Menon

Jan 29, 2024, 2:54:34 PMJan 29
to pyPreservica
That's wonderful, James. Thanks a lot. We'll do the updates on our end.

Jujube Menon

Jan 30, 2024, 4:06:23 PMJan 30
to pyPreservica

It was very easy to filter and get any property once I understood the structure of the data.

Rauno Umborg

Jan 31, 2024, 2:19:08 AMJan 31
to pyPreservica
Thanks James! It's a welcome enhancement, we'll be taking advantage of this, too!