upcoming work to facilitate PyPA communications/roadmaps

74 views
Skip to first unread message

Sumana Harihareswara

unread,
Dec 24, 2018, 3:12:59 PM12/24/18
to DistUtils mailing list, pypa-dev, Jenny Ryan
It's been eight months since the release of Warehouse[0] and the sunsetting of legacy PyPI[1]. Following up from our meeting at PyCon in May[2], Changeset Consulting is back on board for another round of project management to facilitate next steps! For the next 3-6 months this work will be spearheaded by myself (Sumana) assisted by Jenny Ryan (https://jennyryan.net ).

The goal over these upcoming months is to create, steward and facilitate internal and public-facing communications to aid the folks within PyPA.

What this means is that we'll be focused on the following:
* Facilitating regular meetings of and for maintainers and contributors;
* Stewarding communications with various PyPA stakeholders, including funders and users;
* Organizing, labelling, prioritizing, and responding to GitHub issues;
* Coordinating public communications, such as announcements, sprints, and calls for participation;
* Maintaining and improving documentation, meeting notes and development roadmaps for PyPA projects.

Feedback from and participation by the Python packaging developer community is obviously part and parcel of this project, so you may see some new "here's what I think is up with this issue, is that right?" questions on old unresolved discussions. And we'll be asking questions on this & other lists and on GitHub and in IRC to collect ideas, concerns, and other productive input regarding the tools roadmaps.

You'll be seeing more details in mid-January to properly kick off this next chapter of levelling up PyPI and the PyPA -- just wanted to give y'all a heads-up.

But of course, if you were already planning on using the next few weeks to do issue triage and roadmap-writing and PyCon planning, please don't wait for us -- that'll make this work all the easier.

Thanks,
Sumana Harihareswara


[0] https://blog.python.org/2018/04/new-pypi-launched-legacy-pypi-shutting.html
[1] https://mail.python.org/archives/list/distut...@python.org/thread/YREMU56QKRMTTFBFVFJ2B4EHOEKOJZFJ/
[2] https://mail.python.org/archives/list/distut...@python.org/thread/CCOV6PITEWELONZHP4ZHXALBFQA3K3MY/

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting
https://changeset.nyc

Dan Ryan

unread,
Dec 24, 2018, 4:13:56 PM12/24/18
to Sumana Harihareswara, DistUtils mailing list, pypa-dev, Jenny Ryan
This is great news! Looking congrats and glad to have you back with us!

Dan Ryan // pipenv maintainer
gh: @techalchemy

Robb Shecter

unread,
Dec 31, 2018, 2:23:00 AM12/31/18
to pypa-dev
This is all very cool. 
 
* Organizing, labelling, prioritizing, and responding to GitHub issues;
 ... 
 
* Maintaining and improving documentation, meeting notes and development roadmaps for PyPA projects.

This reminds me, I have a tool I'm working on that'd give an organization on GitHub an executive overview of its repo management effectiveness. Here's a report for one repo, Warehouse (rating - "Super Effective!"):


It's a pretty geeky way to do it, but I think that seeing a chart of all an org's repos would help identify the hot spots and places that need more hands on.

Sumana Harihareswara

unread,
Jul 18, 2019, 12:12:01 PM7/18/19
to pypa-dev
On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 3:12:59 PM UTC-5, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
It's been eight months since the release of Warehouse[0] and the sunsetting of legacy PyPI[1]. Following up from our meeting at PyCon in May[2], Changeset Consulting is back on board for another round of project management to facilitate next steps! For the next 3-6 months this work will be spearheaded by myself (Sumana) assisted by Jenny Ryan (https://jennyryan.net ).

The goal over these upcoming months is to create, steward and facilitate internal and public-facing communications to aid the folks within PyPA.

What this means is that we'll be focused on the following:
* Facilitating regular meetings of and for maintainers and contributors;
* Stewarding communications with various PyPA stakeholders, including funders and users;
* Organizing, labelling, prioritizing, and responding to GitHub issues;
* Coordinating public communications, such as announcements, sprints, and calls for participation;
* Maintaining and improving documentation, meeting notes and development roadmaps for PyPA projects.

Feedback from and participation by the Python packaging developer community is obviously part and parcel of this project, so you may see some new "here's what I think is up with this issue, is that right?" questions on old unresolved discussions. And we'll be asking questions on this & other lists and on GitHub and in IRC to collect ideas, concerns, and other productive input regarding the tools roadmaps.

You'll be seeing more details in mid-January to properly kick off this next chapter of levelling up PyPI and the PyPA -- just wanted to give y'all a heads-up.

But of course, if you were already planning on using the next few weeks to do issue triage and roadmap-writing and PyCon planning, please don't wait for us -- that'll make this work all the easier.

Thanks,
Sumana Harihareswara


[0] https://blog.python.org/2018/04/new-pypi-launched-legacy-pypi-shutting.html

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting
https://changeset.nyc


I wanted to give a very belated update on this work, which I think many of you have seen in glimpses or at sprints. (This is separate from the Open Tech Fund-funded work to improve security, accessibility, and localization for PyPI.)

I regret that I didn't do a proper public kickoff earlier in the year, and instead -- once I was back from some family travel that took up all of January -- jumped into particular bits of work that needed doing. Due to that delay, this work is extending from the original 3-6 month timeline into more like 9 months from the start (with no increase in the number of hours or the amount PSF is paying Changeset, to be clear). I apologize for that.

Changeset has done a bunch of PyPA-related coordination and communication, reaching out to stakeholders, responding to and organizing GitHub issues and discuss.python.org threads (such as following up on the minisummit at PyCon), helping maintainers and contributors speak up about their progress and needs (examples: Pradyun's recent pip progress report and the manylinux thread on Discourse), researching fundable projects and grants/directed gifts that could support future PyPA work, and writing/improving some docs. Quite a bit of the work has been in one-on-one conversation or in person at sprints, so there's less linkable public work product about that.

There's still work to be done, particularly on funding, manylinux, PyPA documentation (in particular how we talk about ourselves to ourselves and to our upstreams, partners, and downstreams), and the development roadmap. I aim to have Changeset make a swath of updates to https://pypa.io and would welcome committer privileges for GitHub user "brainwane" on https://github.com/pypa/pypa.io/ .

I think this update also relates to the governance thread on Discourse so I'll link to this there.

Hope that the work so far has been helpful to members of the PyPA, and that I can make the rest of the work go smoother and provide more updates along the way.

-Sumana

Sumana Harihareswara

unread,
Jul 28, 2019, 6:02:47 PM7/28/19
to pypa-dev
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 12:12:01 PM UTC-4, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
I aim to have Changeset make a swath of updates to https://pypa.io and would welcome committer privileges for GitHub user "brainwane" on https://github.com/pypa/pypa.io/ .

Request: may I please have committer privileges on https://github.com/pypa/pypa.io/ ?

Thanks,
Sumana

Paul Moore

unread,
Jul 29, 2019, 4:20:14 AM7/29/19
to Sumana Harihareswara, pypa-dev
You should have it, if I'm reading things right. You're in the "PEP
Authors" team, which has write privileges on that repo.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pypa-dev" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pypa-dev+u...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pypa-dev/39727178-9892-4669-8c20-61b018b2a808%40googlegroups.com.

Dustin Ingram

unread,
Jul 29, 2019, 9:54:22 AM7/29/19
to Paul Moore, Sumana Harihareswara, pypa-dev
Somewhat surprising to me that "PEP Authors" have the ability to commit to pypa/pypa.io, and that Sumana is on that team (AFAIK, she has not authored a PEP). Perhaps we need to make a separate team? 

Paul Moore

unread,
Jul 29, 2019, 10:13:35 AM7/29/19
to Dustin Ingram, Sumana Harihareswara, pypa-dev
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 14:54, Dustin Ingram <dustin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Somewhat surprising to me that "PEP Authors" have the ability to commit to pypa/pypa.io, and that Sumana is on that team (AFAIK, she has not authored a PEP). Perhaps we need to make a separate team?

Agreed it seemed odd to me.
Paul
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages