pip install from local sdist with only package name

DH

Jan 8, 2020, 6:52:45 AM1/8/20
to pypa-dev
Hello,

I've written some packages that I want to archive as local sdists. Lets say they are foo-1.9.tar.gz and bar-0.7.tar.gz. Foo depends on bar. Now if I do pip install foo-1.0.tar.gz I get a complaint that "bar" is not available. So I first need to do pip install bar-0.7.tar.gz and then pip install foo-1.0.tar.gz. It would be cool if pip, when looking for package "bar", could see that there is an sdist tarball right there and use that.

Is there a good reason why pip doesn't accept package basenames when working with local sdist tarballs?

regards, dh

Paul Moore

Jan 8, 2020, 7:58:50 AM1/8/20
to DH, pypa-dev
You just need to add the --find-links option to pip and specify the
directory containing the tarballs. Then pip will include that
directory in its search.