Can I use SCIP as a solver

KA

Oct 24, 2016, 2:03:07 PM10/24/16
to Pyomo Forum
I want to ask that can I use SCIP as a solver in Pyomo?

Gabe Hackebeil

Oct 24, 2016, 2:23:14 PM10/24/16
to pyomo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but you have to build the ASL interface to SCIP. I believe the executable is called scipampl, and there are a few extra steps you have to follow after you compile SCIP to generate this executable.

Once the scipampl executable is available, you can use it in Pyomo by setting the solver name to "scipampl". You can also use "scip" as the solver name in combination with the solver_io keyword set to "nl". E.g.,

opt = SolverFactory("scipampl")

opt = SolverFactory("scip", solver_io="nl")

Gabe

On Oct 24, 2016, at 2:03 PM, KA <kag...@gmail.com> wrote:

I want to ask that can I use SCIP as a solver in Pyomo?

Marc Meketon

Jan 3, 2018, 2:18:20 PM1/3/18
to Pyomo Forum
Has anyone come up with a cookbook way of using SCIP with PYOMO on a Windows machine?  I'll like to try it out, but I'm lost.  A previous post refers to "ASL interface" and an executable called scipampl, but I don't know what this all refers to.

-Marc

William Hart

Jan 4, 2018, 10:29:34 AM1/4/18
to pyomo...@googlegroups.com
scipampl is an executable built with the SCIP software that links in the ASL solver library interface.  This is a standard interface for optimization solvers, which was developed by AMPL.

So the key thing is to figure out how to build or download that executable.  With that, the solver interface to SCIP should work.

--Bill

Giorgio Balestrieri

Matt Braunstein

Nov 12, 2019, 9:03:36 AM11/12/19
to pyomo...@googlegroups.com
I’ve used SCIP w/Pyomo. It’s been a couple of months since I set this up, so I may not be remembering 100% correctly.

Like was said by Bill, the scipampl executable is what is needed for Pyomo. I would check a couple of things. First, make sure the directory with scipampl is in your path. Second, sometimes they name the scipampl executable with the version appended. You may need to link/rename the executable to just scipampl.

If you just run ‘which scipampl’, you will see very quickly whether it will be recognized by Pyomo.

Matt
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pyomo-forum...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyomo-forum/a8537b38-e492-4411-b266-317a7ede4f12%40googlegroups.com.

Salvador Pineda

May 25, 2020, 2:00:30 PM5/25/20
to Pyomo Forum
After installing scipoptsuite, go to the ampl interface directory. Then follow the instructions below:

To use SCIP from AMPL, you have to do the following:
 - execute the ./get.ASL script to download the AMPL solver library sources;
   the script downloads the compressed tarball and expands it in a directory solvers
 - build the AMPL solver library,
   on Linux, this may be possible by doing "cd solvers; make -f makefile.u",
   on MinGW with MS or Intel compiler, this may be possible by doing "cd solvers; cp details.c0 details.c; nmake -f makefile.vc"
 - build SCIP (see ../../INSTALL)

When using the SCIP CMake system, either:
 - build target scipampl from the main build directory: e.g. make scipampl
or:
 - generate a new build directory in interfaces/ampl and configure the build accordingly:
    - mkdir build; cd build
    - cmake .. -DSCIP_DIR=<path/to/SCIP/build/dir>
    - make