Announcing Pyomo 4.0

Bill Hart

Jan 9, 2015, 1:56:04 AM1/9/15
to pyomo...@googlegroups.com, pyomo-de...@googlegroups.com
We are pleased to announce the release of Pyomo 4.0 (4.0.9629). Pyomo is a collection of Python software packages that supports a diverse set of optimization capabilities for formulating and analyzing optimization models.

This release rebrands Coopr as Pyomo, which reflects the fact that users have consistently confused the Coopr software and the Pyomo modeling language.  Pyomo 4.0 includes the following significant changes:

- Pyomo provides a single source tree replacing all Coopr packages
- The 'pyomo' command replaces the 'coopr' command
- The 'pyomo solve' subcommand replaces the former 'pyomo' command
- The 'pyomo.environ' package is now used to import core Pyomo capabilities
- Robust support for Python 3.x

The following are highlights of this release:

- Modeling
   * Added a RealInterval domain
   * Major rework of coopr.dae. Can now represent higher order and partial
     differential equations. Also added more discretization schemes.

- Solvers
   * Added preliminary support for a Benders solver
   * Added support for the BARON solver
   * Preliminary support for MPEC solvers, including the PATH solver

- Transformations
   * Added explicit support for model transformations
   * The 'pyomo solve --transform' option specified model transformations
   * Created a streamline linear dual transformation

- Other
   * The 'pyomo help' command documents installed capabilities
   * Major rework and simplification of the 'pyomo_install' script
   * Added support for parallelism using Pyro4

See https://pyomo.org for installation options and documentation for getting started with Pyomo.

Enjoy!

 - Pyomo Developer Team
 - pyomo-de...@googlecode.com
 - http://pyomo.org

-----------
About Pyomo
-----------

The Pyomo home page provides resources for Pyomo users:

 * http://pyomo.org

Pyomo development is hosted by Sandia National Laboratories and COIN-OR:

 * https://software.sandia.gov/pyomo
 * https://projects.coin-or.org/Pyomo

See the Pyomo Forum for online discussions of Pyomo:

 * http://groups.google.com/group/pyomo-forum/

Antonello Lobianco

Jan 9, 2015, 3:19:07 AM1/9/15
to pyomo...@googlegroups.com, pyomo-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello, thank you for bringing us this new release.
Just a minor point: the pyomo.org website has an untrusted ssl certificate (it's valid only for *.squarespace.com - error ssl_error_bad_cert_domain ). You can easily get a free certificate e.g. on https://www.startssl.com.

Also the documentation remains somehow limited.. it would be nice for example to have an API-style documentation (possible directly from source-code) and some examples of non-linear optimisation (e.g. chapter 8 of the book)..
Further the online documentation, claims to NOT be a reference: "Our goal is not to provide a comprehensive reference, but rather to provide a tutorial with simple and illustrative examples.".
So, where is the reference ? In the book ?
The fact then that "preliminary documentation of new features and capabilities" enters the same document of a "simple tutorial" is somehow confusing.
In the new website if I click on the main slideshow I would expect to go somewhere that describes the slide title (e.g. "Load data from many different sourses") but there is no link; if I click on the html documentation I am sent somewhere else completely different than the original site..

In general, you put so much efforts to produce a such great and useful software, it's a pity that the communication/documentation side is not fully developed..

Cheers,
   Antonello

Antonello Lobianco
AgroParisTech, Laboratoire d'Economie Forestière
14 Rue Girardet - 54000 Nancy, France
Tel: +33.383396865
Email: antonello...@nancy.inra.fr
http://antonello.lobianco.org