can't see table created by pyodbc in ms access

Krishna Sundar

Jun 6, 2018, 2:20:28 PM6/6/18
to pyodbc

I am accessing a MS Access Database in Python 3.6 using pyodbc library. I can read a table, no problems. The I created a simple table (Employee). I inserted records. I was able to fetch the records too by reading the table, no problems.

I also listed the tables in the MS Access DB. Employee table shows in the list.

But when I open up the MS Access Database, I do not find the table. I changed MS Access DB to show hidden and system objects. Employee table doesn't show up.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

import pyodbc

db_file = r'''C:\TickData2018\StooqDataAnalysis.accdb'''
user = 'admin'
password = ''

odbc_conn_str = 'DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.accdb)};DBQ=%s;UID=%s;PWD=%s' %\
                (db_file, user, password)
# Or, for newer versions of the Access drivers:
odbc_conn_str = 'DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)};DBQ=%s;UID=%s;PWD=%s' %\
                (db_file, user, password)

conn = pyodbc.connect(odbc_conn_str)

print("connection made")

c = conn.cursor()

c.execute("SELECT * FROM 5MtsBaseForAnalysisSorted")

list1 = c.fetchmany(2)

print(list1[0][0])
print(list1[0][1])
print(list1[0][2])

try:
    c.execute("""CREATE TABLE employee(
                first text,
                last text,
                pay integer
                );""")
except Exception as e:
    print(e)

conn.commit

c.execute("INSERT INTO employee VALUES ('Krishna', 'Sundar', 50000)")
c.execute("INSERT INTO employee VALUES ('Divya', 'Sundar', 70000)")
c.execute("INSERT INTO employee VALUES ('Panka', 'Sundar', 70000)")
conn.commit

c.execute("SELECT * FROM employee")
print(c.fetchall())

c.tables()
rows = c.fetchall()
for row in rows:
    print(row)

c.close()
del c
conn.close()

Krishna Sundar

Jun 6, 2018, 2:53:19 PM6/6/18
to pyodbc
Yes, I got the solution from stackoverflow. 'commit' is an object method. So, my commit call should include parenthesis:

Changing to conn.commit() solved the issue. Thanks