how to reinstall on Ubuntu

Adam

Nov 26, 2021, 12:13:10 AM11/26/21
to pyo-discuss
Greetings. I seem to have broken my PYO. Cecilia gui comes up but no sound. Soundgrain gui doesn't come up, doesn't start. Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS.

Can I simply re-install latest PYO, then Cecilia and Soundgrain sources, over the top of the existing problematic installation? Or should I delete some directories or uninstall some applications first?

Installing PYO  1.0.4  using PIP

Installing Cecilia5

Installing Soundgrain

Any pointers, corrections or clarifications much appreciated. Thank you.

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz

Nov 26, 2021, 9:37:07 AM11/26/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You can simply use Ubuntu official packages for pyo, cecilia and soundgrain
rather than installing from sources/pip:

sudo apt install python3-pyo soundgrain cecilia

If you use pyo Ubuntu package, it's better to uninstall from pip:

pip3 uninstall pyo

For cecilia and soundgrain, once the packages are installed, you can run them
from the prompt:

cecilia

or

soundgrain

Bests,

--
Tiago

Art Phong

Nov 26, 2021, 6:26:02 PM11/26/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Tiago. That is simple and works well.

No problem with the  pyo  uninstall.
No problem with the  python3-pyo  soundgrain  cecilia  installation.

However this message when I run them.

Maybe I should uninstall pyo, also uninstall pyo as super user. Then repeat the installation as above.
And suggestions much appreciated.

adam@ad64pc:~/povray2$ cecilia
preferences file from an older version not used. New preferences will be created.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/cecilia", line 25, in <module>
    from cecilia.Resources import audio, CeciliaMainFrame
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cecilia/Resources/audio.py", line 29, in <module>
    from pyo import *
  File "/home/adam/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyo/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .lib._maps import *
ImportError: No module named lib._maps

adam@ad64pc:~/povray2$ soundgrain
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/soundgrain", line 29, in <module>
    from soundgrain.Resources.audio import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/soundgrain/Resources/audio.py", line 29, in <module>
    from pyo import *
  File "/home/adam/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyo/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .lib._maps import *
ImportError: No module named lib._maps
adam@ad64pc:~/povray2$

Setting up python-pil.imagetk:amd64 (5.1.0-1ubuntu0.6) ...
Setting up cecilia (5.2.1-1) ...
Setting up soundgrain (4.1.1-2.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-11ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3.18.04.2) ...
adam@ad64pc:~/povray2$ cecilia
preferences file from an older version not used. New preferences will be created.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/cecilia", line 25, in <module>
    from cecilia.Resources import audio, CeciliaMainFrame
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cecilia/Resources/audio.py", line 29, in <module>
    from pyo import *
  File "/home/adam/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyo/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .lib._maps import *
ImportError: No module named lib._maps
adam@ad64pc:~/povray2$

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "pyo-discuss" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyo-discuss/20211126143703.d3vc5hwqgadtnhyv%40x1.

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz

Nov 26, 2021, 6:38:34 PM11/26/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi, for some reason they're trying to run using python2 from your user
setup rather than using python3 from the system.

Let me know which versions of them your system installed:

dpkg -l cecilia soundgrain

In my Debian machine I have this:

ii cecilia 5.4.1-1 all Sound synthesis and audio
signal processing environment
ii soundgrain 6.0.1-2 all Graphical interface to
control granular sound synthesis modules

Recent Ubuntu versions should have the same.

Bests,

--
Tiago
> <mailto:pyo-discuss%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyo-discuss/dd9c820f-f849-4961-bb9f-68acc81ade81n%40googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyo-discuss/20211126143703.d3vc5hwqgadtnhyv%40x1
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyo-discuss/20211126143703.d3vc5hwqgadtnhyv%40x1>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyo-discuss/CAKuQcLoJkWSabzBTycaaEUWto5HsZUsGpFqGJPEJ1wQJK6Pmzw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyo-discuss/CAKuQcLoJkWSabzBTycaaEUWto5HsZUsGpFqGJPEJ1wQJK6Pmzw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Art Phong

Nov 26, 2021, 8:20:29 PM11/26/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Tiago.   Well this is interesting. Perhaps I installed previous versions as SU.
So perhaps I must uninstall those as SU somehow. Then uninstall and reinstall as above, not as SU.
I'm not sure about python2.
Sorry to trouble you with this broken PYO. Thanks for any suggestions.

adam@ad64pc:~$ which cecilia
/usr/bin/cecilia
adam@ad64pc:~$ which soundgrain
/usr/bin/soundgrain
adam@ad64pc:~$ ll /usr/bin/cecilia
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3858 Apr 27  2016 /usr/bin/cecilia*
adam@ad64pc:~$ ll /usr/bin/soundgrain
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 105949 Oct 26  2014 /usr/bin/soundgrain*
adam@ad64pc:~$

adam@ad64pc:~$ dpkg -l cecilia  soundgrain
||/ Name                                   Version                  Architecture             Description

Art Phong

Nov 30, 2021, 5:53:37 AM11/30/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
after a Purge of older cecilia and soundgrain, then re-install via apt.
I now see these messages. See also versions and pythons below.
It almost looks like I should remove all and Purge pyo also, then reinstall.

adam@ad64pc:/$ cecilia

adam@ad64pc:/$ soundgrain
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/soundgrain", line 29, in <module>
    from soundgrain.Resources.audio import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/soundgrain/Resources/audio.py", line 29, in <module>
    from pyo import *
  File "/home/adam/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyo/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .lib._maps import *
ImportError: No module named lib._maps
adam@ad64pc:/$

adam@ad64pc:/$ ll /usr/bin/cecilia
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3858 Apr 27  2016 /usr/bin/cecilia*
adam@ad64pc:/$ ll /usr/bin/soundgrain

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 105949 Oct 26  2014 /usr/bin/soundgrain*
adam@ad64pc:/$ python --version
Python 2.7.17
adam@ad64pc:/$ python3 --version
Python 3.6.9

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz

Nov 30, 2021, 3:48:42 PM11/30/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Your cecilia/soundgrain versions from Ubuntu are too old, still from the
time they used Python2. That's very unlikely to work nowadays. If you
want to
use these two software from Ubuntu packages, you need to update your
system.
I don't understand the Ubuntu version names, but right now they are:

[ bionic ] [ focal ] [ hirsute ] [ impish ] [ jammy ]

and apart from 'bionic', all of them provide the recent versions running
over Python3 (https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/cecilia).

If you're unable to update your system, it's probably better to use the
packages from pip3 or git rather than apt. In that case I can't help
much, I'm mostly a lazy deb package user :\

Bests,

--
Tiago

--
tiago

Art Phong

Nov 30, 2021, 9:37:57 PM11/30/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.  Yes,  I'm on Ubuntu Bionic, and try as I may new Cecilia Soundgrain versions refuse to run.
When they were running, they were installed by pip3 - so I will try that again.

I should really upgrade my system from Bionic. Thank you again.

Olivier Bélanger

Dec 1, 2021, 8:59:18 AM12/1/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
My two cents!

Cecilia and Soundgrain are just python script, beautifully packaged! I decided to not produce binaries anymore on Windows and MacOS. So, to get the latest fixes, the simplest way is just to grab the sources from github and run the program from source.

So you can do something like:

python3 -m pip install --user pyo wxPython numpy markdown

And then:

cd cecilia5
python3 Cecilia5.py

or:

cd soundgrain
python3 Soundgrain.py

It should also work if you install pyo from the package manager, but you still need the other dependencies!

Olivier

Art Phong

Jan 29, 2022, 11:04:57 PM1/29/22
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
On a fresh installation, Ubuntu 20.04  both install well using APT.
Soundgrain and Cecilia both seem stable and robust.

Thank you to all.