Volume level

Bruce Davidson

Sep 27, 2022, 1:17:53 AM9/27/22
to pyo-discuss
Hi, I'm looking at pyo to build a simple guitar amp. Whenever I process the signal with an effect, such as Phasor or Chorus, the volume is reduced. I feel like I'm missing something - how do I maintain the volume level, or is there a way to set an arbitrary base volume?

Alexandros

Sep 27, 2022, 1:20:39 PM9/27/22
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com

Can you share some code?

On 27/9/22 08:17, Bruce Davidson wrote:
Hi, I'm looking at pyo to build a simple guitar amp. Whenever I process the signal with an effect, such as Phasor or Chorus, the volume is reduced. I feel like I'm missing something - how do I maintain the volume level, or is there a way to set an arbitrary base volume?

barmin

Sep 28, 2022, 3:09:00 AM9/28/22
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

> Hi, I'm looking at pyo to build a simple guitar amp. Whenever I process the signal with an effect, such as Phasor or Chorus, the volume is reduced. I feel like I'm missing something - how do I maintain the volume level, or is there a way to set an arbitrary base volume?

For what it's worth, I wrote a little blog post about guitar effects here: https://www.matthieuamiguet.ch/blog/diy-guitar-effects-python

In my experience, effects like chorus don't significantly change the output volume. Maybe you're doing something wrong?

Now, if you need more volume, every PyoObject has a mul attribute that allow to change its output volume. So for instance

c = Chorus(i, mul=1.5)

would boost the chorus output.

Hope this helps,

Matthieu

Olivier Bélanger

Sep 30, 2022, 8:21:39 AM9/30/22
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd just put a Compress object at the end of the fx chain, and pump up the volume beforehand as needed...

Olivier