MidiDispatcher.sendx

p.s...@outlook.com

Apr 24, 2022, 1:02:58 AM4/24/22
to pyo-discuss
Hiya,
I just got a MIDI controller today and am prodding at pyo's MIDI controls. I'm not getting sendx working, and wanting to make sure I am composing a sysex message as MidiDispatcher expects it. Here's my code:

midiOut = MidiDispatcher(99)
midiOut.start()
midiOut.sendx('\xF0\x47\x00\x73\x60\x00\x04\x42\x00\x00\x00\xF7')

Is this correct - it wants a concatenated string of each byte, starting as \x? (is 0x actually okay? I saw on an earlier thread someone point out that only \x worked.)

Thanks!
Paul

p.s...@outlook.com

Apr 27, 2022, 2:06:10 PM4/27/22
to pyo-discuss
I see from Matthieu's code here that Server.sysexout takes just concatenated strings of bytes in the format 0x00. Assuming MidiDispatcher works the same (and works), I must be doing something else wrong with these messages.

A related question - is there a way to interpret received sysex messages? The Akai APC40 mkII manual, p.8-9, describes an Introduction message that I can send, and receive detail of all the positions of sliders of the device. When I get these working, I am not sure how they get delivered to me. I would like to cut up this received message and interpret it to create a dictionary of current slider positions.

p.s...@outlook.com

Sep 21, 2022, 9:47:36 AM9/21/22
to pyo-discuss
Bumping this thread. I haven't been working on this since April, and still have these questions if anyone has any experience with this.
Thanks!