VST wrappers in Pyo

kjel

Sep 14, 2022, 1:38:03 PM9/14/22
to pyo-discuss
Hello,

Would it be possible to implement something like this in Pyo?

PyoPlug allows us to run Pyo as a VST in Daws, but what about the other way around, if we want to run VSTs in Python. One of the things that initially got me interested in Pyo was Matthieu Amiguet's talk at EuroPython, which I've watched several times now (I highly recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdsrZYZ0TI0). In terms of using Python as a live performance vehicle, it would be very cool to have access to the odd VST when we need it. I really like the way it's implemented in SuperCollider where we can have the GUI to tweak things as we like, but then for performance we can kill the GUI and go headless for better performance. Here's a quick demo of how it works in SuperCollider:

Disclaimer, I haven't actually used this feature yet in SC myself, so I may be misunderstanding it, but in principle I really like the idea. Seeing that it's written mostly in C++, I thought it might be possible to port it over to Pyo, but I don't know how/if that would work.

Let me know what you think!

Kjel

Olivier Bélanger

Sep 27, 2022, 7:12:44 PM9/27/22
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have some big reserves when it comes to adding a new dependency in the build setup (x3 as I build for Windows/Mac/linux). There may also be licensing issues between pyo (LGPL) and VST3 (GPL)...

Besides, I wrote pyo especially to avoid using plug-ins :)

Best,

Olivier

kjel sidloski

Sep 28, 2022, 8:39:15 AM9/28/22
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olivier,

Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate all the work you’ve put into Pyo. It’s a wonderful project!

Take care,
Kjel

On Sep 27, 2022, at 7:12 PM, Olivier Bélanger <bela...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "pyo-discuss" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyo-discuss/CAMXBGhTNA-LF%2BRQXx%2BK%2BWYkPcOZsodMwxoiT4TfHBESK2DyQ_w%40mail.gmail.com.